Start building a new motor and tranny or upgrades? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Question Start building a new motor and tranny or upgrades?

So my 02 GT has about 150k on it and tho I baby my car most of the time I do get on it from time to time. I'm not the first owner and I'm sure that it has seen abuse. how many miles on average are you guys getting out of the Romeo? I was thinking of going to my local pick a part and getting an almost complete motor and tranny to rebuild. It was a toss up between that or get certain things for my car.

Needed and wanted parts List: Mac long tube headers with a Y and elec cutouts (just for fun) and a new h pipe, SLP LM II's, paint the car (plasti dip), new headlamps, tires, udp kit a new bama tuner front calipers (mine are cracked), New rotors all 4 need replacing, new 3rd brake light, new drag radials, new control arms and maybe a cam.

I was going to supercharge but I figure I'll wait for forged internals and better heads.

I would do most of the work myself. I thought of trying to find a coyote but I've read some horror stories so I'll stick to my 2v. If I do a rebuilt I might bore to a 5.0 I'll only have about $4000.00 to spend. If I do all that work I'd like to go to a dyno to get a more proper tune. I'm just really excited to get stuff for my pony and want to do it right the first time.

What are your opinions?

02 Mustang GT Hard Top. 3.73 rear, CAI, No A/C,Performance suspension, Straight pipes from the cat. Bama Tuned. Rear upper and lower control arms with poly bushings.
Future mods: Cam, 3.9 rear, better suspension, Lightweight drive shaft, subframe connectors, larger tb, Long tube headers with electronic cutouts and SLP LMII's, SCT tuner, better wheels and tires, possibly a 2500 torque converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I guess the question is should I get the upgrades that are not necessary? like pant headers exc. or do you think it would be wiser to start to rebuild an engine?

02 Mustang GT Hard Top. 3.73 rear, CAI, No A/C,Performance suspension, Straight pipes from the cat. Bama Tuned. Rear upper and lower control arms with poly bushings.
Future mods: Cam, 3.9 rear, better suspension, Lightweight drive shaft, subframe connectors, larger tb, Long tube headers with electronic cutouts and SLP LMII's, SCT tuner, better wheels and tires, possibly a 2500 torque converter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

At the point you're at, I would just start putting together a new engine. Things like installing headers and whatever I would save for that - all spending money on that sort of stuff does right now is postpone your end goal of a built shortblock. If in the meantime you wanna start working on stuff like your brakes and suspension then go for it, as it will just prepare the foundation of the car that much further for more power later.

Hard to say on longevity, it's dependent mostly on the current state of things. If it's healthy still and you continue to not abuse it too much and keep up on maintenance, internally it should be fine to well over the 200K mark. It's going to be little crap that starts giving you trouble - IAC valve, alternator, etc. stuff like that. My grandfather has a '97 TownCar with about 230K on the clock - granted he doesn't hot rod it like we do our cars, but it still runs as perfect as it did 10 years ago and doesn't consume any oil. Mechanically, these engines are known to be good in many cases to 300K or more.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for the input SoCal I am getting a used engine to work on in about a month I will start my rebuild then.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I'd get a tekid, or 05+ wap (on par, or better then a tekid) find a used cobra crank (350$) used termi rods and pistons (500-700$) after machine work, bearings, head studs your looking at a 2K bottom end good for 700 HP, throw some freshed pi heads on, some stage 2 cams (can be had for 700$ used) and you have a stout forged 2v for a little over 3k, put a nice clutch in, (maybe 400$) and you have a stout motor ready to go. then over time add on the rest.

[COLOR="Black"][B]2004[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Torch red[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]mach 1[/COLOR] Cams, mac long tubes, lethal offroad X, magnaflow IRS exhaust, strange front coil overs, strange 14" 175lb springs, 4.30's, FRPP 31 spline differential, Moser 31 spline axles, steeda tri-ax, exedy 2 clutch, FRPP throw out, FRPP pilot bearing, MM clutch goodies, K&N poly intake, SCT tuned

[B][COLOR="black"]1996[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="DarkRed"] Lazer red GT[/COLOR], 2002 Pi swapped, stage 1 cams, shift kit, ram air intake, UPR offroad X, flowmaster dumps, 125 wet shot...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014
Rookie

I would most likely just start rebuilding and building up it after that
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copmagnet View Post
I'd get a tekid, or 05+ wap (on par, or better then a tekid) find a used cobra crank (350$) used termi rods and pistons (500-700$) after machine work, bearings, head studs your looking at a 2K bottom end good for 700 HP, throw some freshed pi heads on, some stage 2 cams (can be had for 700$ used) and you have a stout forged 2v for a little over 3k, put a nice clutch in, (maybe 400$) and you have a stout motor ready to go. then over time add on the rest.
That's about the route I was thinking of. I do want a cam that would be good for future boost. My car has an automatic. I am going to try to adapt a th400 (from my chevelle) to my block. Thinking I'll bore to 5.0.
I'm lining up my parts list and getting ready to buy. It will be a slow build as I am extremely busy. I am getting all forged internals and probably a pretty penny on some modified heads. Not long ago I blew a spark plug straight out of my head threads and all. Replaced threads with a helicoil and I just don't trust it too much. So new heads are a must.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page