2002 Mustang Gt horsepower upgrade? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2002 Mustang Gt horsepower upgrade?

I've recently acquired a 2002 Mustang Gt. And I am looking for an efficient way to up my horsepower without breaking my wallet. I am open to ideas (for the most part). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!! You can start with a Cold Air Induction-exhaust upgrade.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Well here's a list of bolt ons if you don't plan on goin FI aka supercharger turbo. Throttle body\upper plenum, cuz what's one without the other? Cold air intake, exhaust, gears, tuner, suspension upgrades to help keep your already gotten power to the ground like lower control arms, subframe connectors, also maybe get a wider rim out back, I got the black spleens with 18x10.5 in e rear :p. gears and tuner are the best thing to start off with. But exhaust is always a fun upgrade, who DOESN'T like the sound of these 2vs? . Alot of highway driving? If not get some 4.10 gears, if you do alot of highway interstate driving go with 3.73s. I only did 3.73s cuz I plan on supercharging later on.

There's also about 639851 threads on upgrades on this website already so feel free to look around. You'll learn slot from this place!

[/SIGPIC]2001 mustang gt - accufab throttle body/plenum and intake spacer, airaid cold air intake, ram hdx stage 1 clutch, optima yellow top battery , 3.73 gears with fresh replacement of bearings, sr short throw shifter, much more to come .

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014
PONY Member

Honestly it all depends on your budget. But you will be happy starting with 3.73 gears. CAI and such are just for aesthetics and do not really give you much more than something cool to look at. Like cpthawk said go with gears and a tuner for a noticeable gain in acceleration

02 Mustang GT Hard Top. 3.73 rear, CAI, No A/C,Performance suspension, Straight pipes from the cat. Bama Tuned. Rear upper and lower control arms with poly bushings.
Future mods: Cam, 3.9 rear, better suspension, Lightweight drive shaft, subframe connectors, larger tb, Long tube headers with electronic cutouts and SLP LMII's, SCT tuner, better wheels and tires, possibly a 2500 torque converter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member

How much money do you got? lol. Do you want to do this over time or in a one time shot? Whatever you do, do not install pullies. Pullies will be a waste of money and time to see no gain in power in our 4.6's. Oh and welcome to the site!

2001 Mustang GT Hellion Turbo 5-Speed Convertible
Triple Black tastefully done with Steeda, Saleen, and Corbra exterior elements.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking

Thank you all! I plan on swapping out my exhaust and new cold air intake. And i think ill also go with the 3.73 gears. Im not too sure if i wanna use the tuner. Im thinking long term to add turbo,but that's because i love the sound, even though supercharger is better ive heard (from my uncle; owns a 2009 Shelby GT 500). But This is something i will do over time, and with all the knowledge you guys have, I feel confident in upping my horsepower!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014
Rookie

If you get 3.63s you'll want a tuber so you can correct your speedometer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014
PONY Member

The tuner is worth the bucks you pay for it. I think just about anyone here would agree. I am needing to pick one up for myself soon. My car is tuned well you can see on my sig. While my pony has almost no trouble taking a turbo S2000 I still have trouble with camaro ss and trans am's. Gears make the difference. before I would not be able to even keep up with these little turbo 2000s. But I can say now I stay ahead even at higher speeds. You will not see any good gains for less than $500 for you car unless you plan on doing the work yourself.
Tuner $ 380.00 (free tunes for life)
Gears $ 260.00 (Ford racing kit)
Headers $300.00? (Pacesetters supposedly have a good fit)
TB/plenum $300-500 (BBK 1780 is both for $270)
Control arms $163.00 ( Summit = what I'm getting)
SLP LMII $192.00 (to go with those headers)
Subframe Connectors $140.00 ( Great deal )

02 Mustang GT Hard Top. 3.73 rear, CAI, No A/C,Performance suspension, Straight pipes from the cat. Bama Tuned. Rear upper and lower control arms with poly bushings.
Future mods: Cam, 3.9 rear, better suspension, Lightweight drive shaft, subframe connectors, larger tb, Long tube headers with electronic cutouts and SLP LMII's, SCT tuner, better wheels and tires, possibly a 2500 torque converter.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithis View Post
The tuner is worth the bucks you pay for it. I think just about anyone here would agree. I am needing to pick one up for myself soon. My car is tuned well you can see on my sig. While my pony has almost no trouble taking a turbo S2000 I still have trouble with camaro ss and trans am's. Gears make the difference. before I would not be able to even keep up with these little turbo 2000s. But I can say now I stay ahead even at higher speeds. You will not see any good gains for less than $500 for you car unless you plan on doing the work yourself.
Tuner $ 380.00 (free tunes for life)
Gears $ 260.00 (Ford racing kit)
Headers $300.00? (Pacesetters supposedly have a good fit)
TB/plenum $300-500 (BBK 1780 is both for $270)
Control arms $163.00 ( Summit = what I'm getting)
SLP LMII $192.00 (to go with those headers)
Subframe Connectors $140.00 ( Great deal )

Sithis, let me know what you think of the Summit lower controls arms. I have the same ones but waiting to install them until I get all my suspension componenets (springs and SFCs are left)...I'll PM you when I get mine installed. Also, I bought spherical bushings ($90 form UPR) for the upper axle bushings, just an idea for you...

OP, I have nothing to add...everyone has covered all the basic bolt ons...Good luck!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Sithis, let me know what you think of the Summit lower controls arms. I have the same ones but waiting to install them until I get all my suspension componenets (springs and SFCs are left)...I'll PM you when I get mine installed. Also, I bought spherical bushings ($90 form UPR) for the upper axle bushings, just an idea for you...

OP, I have nothing to add...everyone has covered all the basic bolt ons...Good luck!
I'll look into it as well. And I'll PM you when I get them bought and installed

Banned

If you get a cai go with the jlt. I could feel and hear the difference when I changed from the cheap chrome one.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2002 , horsepower , performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page