Which mods produce poor MPG on my setup? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member

I have to say, I am surprised by how bad MPG you guys keep getting! I know the Mach 1's and Cobra's will get worse MPG than us GT owners, but still, 14-16 MPG? Is that all city driving? My driving is a good mix between city and highway, about 50/50. My only mods are an O/R H-pipe and the IAC mod, and yet I get about 20 MPG no problem with my auto, and that is not babying it. The following tune-up items have less than 10k miles on them: Fuel filter, spark plugs, coolant fluid, transmission oil, engine oil, gear oil. The fuel filter is in decent condition. I ran half a bottle of sea foam through my IAC vacuum line, and the rest in a full tank of gas.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Alright so I'd I do some sea foam is that a process I would need to repeat every so often? And can the sea foam do anything to hurt my car?I will try unplugging my battery today for 10 minutes and see of it doesn't anything. As far as the 4.10's wouldn't that help gas mileage unless I'm doing a high speed trek (so long as I'm not taking off at every stop and go)?Also to the tunes I was looking up the Bama tunes and they have free tunes for life. I plan on keeping my car for years to come I love my Mach and plan on modding it a lot! Is free tunes for life something Been speed offers?And hey thanks for the input everyone I love cars and am just learning about them to the next level and was stuck before, now I have a bunch of ideas!

Rides: 2004 Oxford White Mach 1=current
2003 Carbon Blue Pearl Hyundai Tiburon GT=sold

GT Member
S197 Member

Seafoam won't hurt the car as long as you pour it in slowly. Don't stick the hose into the can because you could hydro lock the engine, just slowly pour it in. Brenspeed does free tunes for life as long as you buy the part from them. Bama don't tune for a whole lot they only will do intakes throttle bodies and stuff like that. Brenspeed will tune for much more such as blowers, nitrous, cams etc. Brent has an in-house dyno he tunes all his test cars on then saves those files and sends them out to customers who mail ordered the tunes so everyone is getting somewhat similar to a dyno tune bama test cars consist of a cold air intake and larger TB. If you go bama then decide you want bigger mods then you'll have to speed an extra 350dollars plus for a dyno tune anyway. I guess if you plan on doing little mods Bama is fine. I went brenspeed since they tune for much more and I've had both tunes to compare the two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
Seafoam won't hurt the car as long as you pour it in slowly. Don't stick the hose into the can because you could hydro lock the engine, just slowly pour it in. Brenspeed does free tunes for life as long as you buy the part from them. Bama don't tune for a whole lot they only will do intakes throttle bodies and stuff like that. Brenspeed will tune for much more such as blowers, nitrous, cams etc. Brent has an in-house dyno he tunes all his test cars on then saves those files and sends them out to customers who mail ordered the tunes so everyone is getting somewhat similar to a dyno tune bama test cars consist of a cold air intake and larger TB. If you go bama then decide you want bigger mods then you'll have to speed an extra 350dollars plus for a dyno tune anyway. I guess if you plan on doing little mods Bama is fine. I went brenspeed since they tune for much more and I've had both tunes to compare the two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
OK so I've been looking into the tunes a bit recently and I like that brenspeed does free tunes for life. When you say I have to buy my piece from them do you mean my aftermarket piece? Say I wanted to get a supercharger then I would need to buy from them in order for them to custom tune for me? And does this mean my existing mods would need to be replaced? This coming summer after my paycheck I am getting a tuner and you have me convinced about brenspeed but if I need to replace parts in order for me to get a tune from them, then I would have to go with bama most likely. Or if their prices for the pieces they sell are too steep then bama would really be the only option I have. Thanks for the look at been speed as another option because I plan on plenty more mods to this mustang

Rides: 2004 Oxford White Mach 1=current
2003 Carbon Blue Pearl Hyundai Tiburon GT=sold

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMACh104 View Post
OK so I've been looking into the tunes a bit recently and I like that brenspeed does free tunes for life. When you say I have to buy my piece from them do you mean my aftermarket piece? Say I wanted to get a supercharger then I would need to buy from them in order for them to custom tune for me? And does this mean my existing mods would need to be replaced? This coming summer after my paycheck I am getting a tuner and you have me convinced about brenspeed but if I need to replace parts in order for me to get a tune from them, then I would have to go with bama most likely. Or if their prices for the pieces they sell are too steep then bama would really be the only option I have. Thanks for the look at been speed as another option because I plan on plenty more mods to this mustang

There are other options besides Bama and Brenspeed if thats a problem. I can't speak to which one is best, but I can say that I personally would not go with Bama if I could do it over. Google and see the kind of issues people have with them, all I am going to say is that there are cheaper ways to make your engine detonate if thats your end-goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page