02 Mustang GT smog help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

02 Mustang GT smog help

Ok I just bought this 02 Mustang GT the day before Christmas and I was given 30 days to get it smogged. I didn't think it would be a big deal since I'm not having any problems with it. While I'm on my Christmas break from work I do the oil change and change the spark plugs. As soon I'm done with that the CEL comes on. So I got it scanned when I came back to work. And the following codes came up (P0720-Output Speed Sensor Circuit. (P0171-System too lean Bank 1. And (P0174-System too lean Bank 2. Everybody I talk to tell me its the O2 sensors the front to be exact. They say the 2 rear dont throw codes so I go to the local Autozone and buy a set of front O2 sensors. And I just got done installing them. I turn the car on and take a ride from Logan heights to chula vista to the other yard and when I get there the CEL is back on. So I pick up a scan tool and scan it and 2 new codes pop up. They are (P1150-Lack of HO2S21 switches-Fuel Trim at limit and (P0155-O2 Heater circuit Bank 2 sensor 1. I dont know what to do now. My Temporary Operating Permit Expired on Jan.24 and and the tags are expired since may. I work full time InSan Diego as a tow truck operator for Rescue Towing. Aside from the people I work with I have no friends and no family here. My closest realitive is my mom and she is in El Centro. Any help would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!!

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
Old 01-31-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you I'm happy to be here

Old 02-01-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Well first off, does the car run any different? If not I'm not sure I would really worry to much about it if its related to your o2 sensors.? But I guess since u gotta get smogged it can't have a cel. Let me do some checkin for ya man.

[/SIGPIC]2001 mustang gt - accufab throttle body/plenum and intake spacer, airaid cold air intake, ram hdx stage 1 clutch, optima yellow top battery , 3.73 gears with fresh replacement of bearings, sr short throw shifter, much more to come .
Old 02-01-2014
Apprentice
4.6L Member

First the code P1150 says "lack of O2 switches". This DTC is thrown when the PCM does not see any rich/lean changes from the O2 sensor even though the PCM has reached the fuel trim limit.

Consider this... If there were a problem with the fuel pressure sensor, wouldn't you expect it to affect BOTH banks?

However, the posted code applies to bank 2 (left side).

If this were my car, I would focus first on the things that would affect a single bank. Some examples include:
Bad O2 sensor or wiring.
exhaust leak on the left side.
Leak in the EGR system.
Valve cover gasket on the left side.
Stuck fuel injector on the left side (not as likely as one should also see a misfire DTC as well).
Once the above have been ruled out, then focus on the rest of the possible causes mentioned in the DTC (it's a long list).

I stole this from burns, hope that's ok . Check these out.

[/SIGPIC]2001 mustang gt - accufab throttle body/plenum and intake spacer, airaid cold air intake, ram hdx stage 1 clutch, optima yellow top battery , 3.73 gears with fresh replacement of bearings, sr short throw shifter, much more to come .
Old 02-02-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black02gt5spd View Post
(P0155-O2 Heater circuit Bank 2 sensor 1.
The P0155 DTC code is the DTC you should be focusing on first. It may also be related to the OSS speed sensor DTC P0720. Recommend looking for damage to/from the Driver's side O2 sensor. However, If this were my car, I would be looking through out the under side for wiring harness damage. Especially if this car has had exhaust work done.

Check the fuses.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in