guesstimate gain, bolt on set-up - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member
 
DJAlsip's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Davenport
Posts: 1,575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman777 View Post
I love how everyone knows what it takes to make 300rwhp. I can assure you now simple bolt ons ain't gonna make it. Not every dyno reads the same. Dyno numbers aren't everything either. The real numbers is at the track. What the car does and how you drive it is the best numbers you can get.
Amen!

300 crank hp should be doable without putting too much into bolt-ons, but 300rwhp N/A requires full H/C/E, intake, and a good tune, at least.


2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
DJAlsip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
 
CodeGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: ABC
Posts: 104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
Amen!

300 crank hp should be doable without putting too much into bolt-ons, but 300rwhp N/A requires full H/C/E, intake, and a good tune, at least.
I completely agree with the 300 rwhp, which I'm not looking for because to hit that mark might as well gone FI, lol. heads and cams is not cheap if not done by yourself.

Right now I'm guessing probably 230's.
I want 255 RWHP which is about 300 crank horse. considering 15% driveline loss.
I was figuring on doing all simple bolt ons minus LT's until i can figure out if i can pass emissions.

And i also agree with the track times, but like I said I won't go to the track ever. I just wanna put some simple bolt ons on, some cosmetic decals. my end game is 255 RWH (and been wondering who has done what combination of simple bolt ons to achieve this) . I've already had a fair share of toys and those toys became annoying on the street, and I don't want this car to become that as well. It's a perfect cruiser as it is now.

If i wanted to buy another toy it would have been a cobra, mach 1, or LS1. I got the GT knowing i couldn't get much out of her without serious effort. but I love my GT and love cruising around in it. The 255(250-260) RWHP mark is my own personal preference whether anyone agrees with it or not.




I gots a mustang, that be why I here.
CodeGT is offline  
GT Member
 
fordman777's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Oliver Springs
Posts: 2,287
 
I'm running 12:1 compression with stage 3 PI heads and stage 3 N/A cams. You want to know what I put down on my tuners dyno? This is why I am personally telling you now that dyno numbers really ain't squat man. Every dyno is going to read differently and to be honest a mustang dyno will read lower and can read very low like mine did. That's why I was telling you track times and what you can do with the car is what matters. Hey this is a free country and if you want that 255 RWHP then you go find some over rated dyno that reads stupid high. That is my advice as the best mod for you if you just want to see the numbers and stop worrying about it and actually feel the power.

LT headers with good exhaust, CAI, Throttle body, Plenium, and a good tune. That is going to be your best bet honestly. Who cares what the numbers are because you are just wanting to do basic bolt ons.

You want to make a real difference with that and make it count. Weight reduction, suspension, along with a good set of sticky tires and that will be it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno Sheet.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	321937  

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
Free speech isnít so free when it comes to protected classes and races, is it?
fordman777 is offline  
 
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
 
CodeGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: ABC
Posts: 104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman777 View Post
I'm running 12:1 compression with stage 3 PI heads and stage 3 N/A cams. You want to know what I put down on my tuners dyno? This is why I am personally telling you now that dyno numbers really ain't squat man. Every dyno is going to read differently and to be honest a mustang dyno will read lower and can read very low like mine did. That's why I was telling you track times and what you can do with the car is what matters. Hey this is a free country and if you want that 255 RWHP then you go find some over rated dyno that reads stupid high. That is my advice as the best mod for you if you just want to see the numbers and stop worrying about it and actually feel the power.

LT headers with good exhaust, CAI, Throttle body, Plenium, and a good tune. That is going to be your best bet honestly. Who cares what the numbers are because you are just wanting to do basic bolt ons.

You want to make a real difference with that and make it count. Weight reduction, suspension, along with a good set of sticky tires and that will be it.
wow aren't kidding about the dyno. and I'm not going for I just want that imaginary number because it's cool. I legitimately want that number, but i get your point on the track. The times are more revealing and that will show with suspension, tires, and weight reduction.

From what you said, those are the mods i was looking at and that was about it. the only time i may ever see a dyno to is to get it dyno tuned. hell i don't need a dyno sheet to tell people i have 300 horse lol if i was concerned what people thought! it is just a personal thing seeing as i won't race at track. a "goal" that's why i asked for guesstimate.

Do you agree under drive pulleys aren't worth it??? I have seen so many mixed reviews.

And I really am new to tuning and building on this type of motor. I came from the OHV style, and my specialty is in suspension design so I'm not to worried about the rear end when I get to it. I am pretty good with solid axles.



I gots a mustang, that be why I here.
CodeGT is offline  
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
 
JonR2006's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,990
             
Garage
Underdrive pulleys are totally up to you. From everything I have read I will not be doing them on my car.

To get your RWHP number of 255, you will need at the minimum an O/R midpipe, catback, CAI, plenum, throttle body, and a good tune...like mentioned above. Good luck!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
JonR2006 is offline  
GT Member
4.6L Member
 
DJAlsip's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Davenport
Posts: 1,575
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman777 View Post
I'm running 12:1 compression with stage 3 PI heads and stage 3 N/A cams. You want to know what I put down on my tuners dyno? This is why I am personally telling you now that dyno numbers really ain't squat man. Every dyno is going to read differently and to be honest a mustang dyno will read lower and can read very low like mine did. That's why I was telling you track times and what you can do with the car is what matters. Hey this is a free country and if you want that 255 RWHP then you go find some over rated dyno that reads stupid high. That is my advice as the best mod for you if you just want to see the numbers and stop worrying about it and actually feel the power.

LT headers with good exhaust, CAI, Throttle body, Plenium, and a good tune. That is going to be your best bet honestly. Who cares what the numbers are because you are just wanting to do basic bolt ons.

You want to make a real difference with that and make it count. Weight reduction, suspension, along with a good set of sticky tires and that will be it.
I really do agree on what Fordman says, the numbers ain't squat! That being said, for those who only know what brand and horsepower their car has, it's is nice to say you have 300 hp. They don't need to know if it is crank or rwhp, they won't even know the difference. It is more for the bragging rights in those cases. When I tell people I drive a Mustang, they ask me two questions: 1) Is it a V6 or a V8? and 2) How many horsepower does it have? 200-299hp cars are so common these days that the number 260hp doesn't impress anyone, but if you can say you have 300hp most people go "Wow, that is a lot! I bet it's hella fun to drive!"

You get where I'm going with this, I am well aware that the actual noticeable difference you get from bolt ons are negligible, and that in the end it all comes down to the right combination between bolt ons, gears, tires, suspension, and of course the driver. I have my '03 GT and I love it, I did suspension this Christmas for handling and appearance purposes. Next I plan on getting gears and a tuner, possibly a CAI for looks. After that I don't feel it's worth dumping a lot of money into unless I decide on going F/I later on.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I wanted to share my views and opinions, as they are relatable to the topic.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
DJAlsip is offline  
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
 
CodeGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: ABC
Posts: 104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Underdrive pulleys are totally up to you. From everything I have read I will not be doing them on my car.

To get your RWHP number of 255, you will need at the minimum an O/R midpipe, catback, CAI, plenum, throttle body, and a good tune...like mentioned above. Good luck!
Thanks for the help and the set up needed for that rough goal. I get that we have two totally different goals we want to achieve and that's fine, to each there own right, but thanks for giving me a good set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
I really do agree on what Fordman says, the numbers ain't squat! That being said, for those who only know what brand and horsepower their car has, it's is nice to say you have 300 hp. They don't need to know if it is crank or rwhp, they won't even know the difference. It is more for the bragging rights in those cases. When I tell people I drive a Mustang, they ask me two questions: 1) Is it a V6 or a V8? and 2) How many horsepower does it have? 200-299hp cars are so common these days that the number 260hp doesn't impress anyone, but if you can say you have 300hp most people go "Wow, that is a lot! I bet it's hella fun to drive!"

You get where I'm going with this, I am well aware that the actual noticeable difference you get from bolt ons are negligible, and that in the end it all comes down to the right combination between bolt ons, gears, tires, suspension, and of course the driver. I have my '03 GT and I love it, I did suspension this Christmas for handling and appearance purposes. Next I plan on getting gears and a tuner, possibly a CAI for looks. After that I don't feel it's worth dumping a lot of money into unless I decide on going F/I later on.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I wanted to share my views and opinions, as they are relatable to the topic.
I dont think its high jacking at all, i like personal stories as well. And with all bolts ons for 40 HP to the crank more is really not that much at all. I got that. but you are right its cool to say you got 300 hp. a lot of cars come with the 200 range of hp, and all new muscle has easily passed that. it's my own personal thing really like i kept trying to explain..

i have a tendency to take things to far when i REALLY start building the car, and i did not get this car to do that.



I gots a mustang, that be why I here.
CodeGT is offline  
GT Member
 
fordman777's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Oliver Springs
Posts: 2,287
 
Look I'll be straight forward and honest here like I always am. I can seem to come off as a d**k or kinda smart but I don't mean anything by it. Normally its when I'm giving correct advice or help and someone just isn't listening or just being an idiot. Not the case here just to clear that.

Ok in all honesty once you get past the bolt on stage and actually decide to do something you will look back and have a different view of things. From day one my biggest thing on forums was people that was full of s**t and the ones who was always posting "man my new CAI is so awsome and I can feel the power". Same thing with the coils when nothing was wrong with the stock ones, UDP's is another, going from an o/r h pipe to an o/r x pipe. Look I understand these little things add up but daggum these people blow s**t out of the dang water. I been there and only been able to afford those basic bolt ons. I have made multiple deployments and pinched pennys to get what I have today. Along with explaining to my fiance why I want or need this stuff. She isn't bad on it though so I'm very grateful for her on that part. Anyways what I'm getting at is if you are not going to break into the motor, go forced induction, or throw some juice to it then your basice bolt ons is your only choice. That or do a dang motor swap. Now I can not tell you anything about the pulleys at all. I have never ran them and also never seen dyno numbers either to be honest. Now will I ever buy a set of pulleys to put on my motor just to try a little more out of it? He** no I won't I will use that towards a nitrous kit and actually lay some more power down.

Like I said before man those dyno numbers ain't everything. They really ain't being honest with you. Like DJ said its just bragging rights. Now when someone ask me how much HP my car makes I say 262 to the wheels because that is what my dyno sheet says. I'm not lying in any way there. Now what I don't tell them is my tuner has a large amount of drag on his dyno so it reads a bit lower than normal. There is a little equation you can use that will give you normal numbers from your typical mustang dynos. Now that is for me to know and I don't share that. You can look at my thread on my build and look at the other dyno sheet and get a rough idea though. Lol

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
Free speech isnít so free when it comes to protected classes and races, is it?
fordman777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1