Question on 1999 gt engine swap for an 2003 gt - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question on 1999 gt engine swap for an 2003 gt

Didn't a find a thread that was near what I'm going to ask but here goes. I'm going to do an engine swap on my 1999 gt 4.6 for a 2003 gt engine but my old engine has a super chip computer and has a 4 bank switch that connects to the computer. Now the question is if this 2003 engine will not have any problems starting up or will it even start. I have the mechanic doing the swap now but was wondering if it will have a problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

From the PCM's point of view there isn't a difference between the 1999-2000 Windsor and the 2001+ Romeo providing the original induction, ignition, exhaust and wiring have been used. The motors as an assembly are the same.

Note I said the original...... So if you start mix/matching parts, then the above statement may no longer be true. For example, with the 1999 PCM if you use the larger fuel injectors of the later MY, then obviously there would be some effect of the larger fuel injectors.

OBTW, the motor currently in my 2000 GT came out of a 2003 Grand Marquis. So I have actually done the Windsor to Romeo swap. That was 3 years and 45K miles ago.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

The things that im putting on the 2003 motor is the manifold, fuel injectors, throttle body, and headers because they sold me the motor like that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

The mechanic that is doing the swap is telling me I need a different flywheel for my t45 transmission cuz the 2003 motor that im putting in is a 6 bolt and the one on the 1999 engine is a 8 bolt would it make a difference
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Well known problem. Windsor has 8 bolt crank and Romeo has 6 bolt.

Options.
Buy a new flywheel.

Go to a salvage yard and get a replacement flywheel. Try car-part.com for a searchable list salvage yards in your area.

Search the swap adds. Some of us have left over parts from old projects.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Should be fine using the Romeo's 6 bolt, 11" flywheel with your T45 which with your former Windsor engine used an 8 bolt, 10.5" flywheel.

Your T45 clutch measures approx. 10.5" in diameter which should be just fine with a flywheel that measures slightly larger. If it were the other way around and you were swappimg a Romeo for a Windsor (and had a TR3650 trans as most Romeo's do), then you would need to use a 10.5" clutch for a T45 (which will work in the 3650).

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page