Ac compressor change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ac compressor change

Hey guys,

My ac compressor's friction plate has been rattling. A replacement cluth kit is 100$. I just by chance called a local junk yard, they had just inventoried a 2002 with just 19,000 miles! The whole compressor was 75$. I couldn't pass it up. When they took the compressor off, they didnt evac the system. The yard tech just pulled it off the line and it doesnt look like freon fully. There is a uv dyed pag oil mix there. I do not see a seperate chamber for the oil. The compressor change seems simple. My car has only 90k and the ac was barley used over it's life. So im not changing amy component other than thr compressor. Is thereba seperate chamber to fill the oil or is it done at along with the freon? Im assuming a enough freon would be added to engage the conprrssor clutch, theb I woukd remove the freon can from the charge line add all the oil, remove the oil can and re attach the freon can and fill the the required level? I know people are gonna snare, smear and deface me for asking if its ok to just pull my old compressor off without evacuation, let the fluid drain out, im assuming it will drain out quite quickly, cover the lines up and install the new compressor, moisture and air vac for an hour and fill. I know epa this epa that... blah blah...blah.

Also does anyone know the required oil and freon amounts?

I rewd somewhere the freon was 35-40psi and the oil was 8.6oz. Is this reliable info?

Thank you!
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Do you plan to pull a vacuum on the system before adding Freon?

Yes the Oil and Freon are mixed together.

If this were my car and the only thing wrong with the AC was the clutch, I would repair/replace ONLY the clutch. Hands down. Even if more expensive. This avoids all the issues with draining, vacuum, re-filling the system.

If replacing with a Ford Clutch, it's possible to retain the field coil and only replace the outside load bearing clutch. MUCH easier. In fact, just use the Clutch from the salvage yard unit and call it a day.

Also avoids any issues with contamination from a salvage yard compressor.

OBTW, the oil amounts quoted assume an empty system which yours is not. Remember that the receiver/dryer will hold the lion's share of the oil.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014
BOSS Member

I agree with above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014
GT Member
Classic Member

Cannibalize the clutch from the salvage compressor as^^^^^^said above. If you have space, apply some oil inside the salvage compressor and SECURELY cap and plug the ports on the compressor to keep out moisture. Good luck!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page