steering rack bushing install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

steering rack bushing install

I am going to change the bushing out on my steering rack today, and some of the installation guides I have found say to cut the mounting sleeves, and that was for solid aluminum bushings. I am installing poly bushings. so will I need to cut the mounting sleeve? or is it just for the solid ones?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

You're talking about the steel or whatever sleeves that go inside the bushing and over the bolts, right?

I installed offset poly bushings on mine, didn't need to cut anything. The hardest part of the job as I recall (we're talking about a quite forgettable day that happened like 6 years ago, so bear with me) was after unbolting the rack, being able to pull it out far enough as to gain clearance to get the old bushings out and new ones in. Think I had to disconnect the steering shaft where it pops into the rack.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Old 03-01-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oh okay. Was it hard to remove the steering shaft from the rack?

Old 03-02-2014
Apprentice

No the steering rack is very simple to pull off. There are two very long bolts that hold it to the k-member and one bolt that hold the steering column to the input of the rack. Unless you are installing the maximum motor sports solid bushings you will not have to cut the sleeve you mentioned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in