Help with odd Idle - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Help with odd Idle

I searched and tried what i found, nothing.The car when u start it goes up to 2k then very very slowly drops to just under 1k. When u come to a stop sometime it will idle at 9-1k or it will stick at 1500. Any ideas? i have cleaned the throttle body, clean the iac and and adjusted the tps. If anyone suggests a vacuum leak explain where i should be looking .. I've gone thru and seen nothing.

BTW its the car is an 04 cobra with a bbk twin 65 throttle body.I know that i'm in the wrong forum now that I'm a terminator owner , but what am i supposed to do no one hangs out in the svt section lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
Hmmm.........a BBK TB???

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
Rookie
4.6L Member

Is there a CEL comeing on? Usually when it runs that rought it throws a code. If you replaced the Tb recently the Throttle Positon Sensor could need adjusted.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
4.6L Member

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if I may ask....why on earth did you go with a BBK TB...those things are notorious for horrible quality...I'm assuming $$$. Accufab FTW!!!

What was the voltage of the TPS? If you can't find a leak then you might want to replace the TPS...Those things are crazy sensitive and sometimes just removing them can cause them to go bad.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtgiants
Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if I may ask....why on earth did you go with a BBK TB...those things are notorious for horrible quality...I'm assuming $$$. Accufab FTW!!!

What was the voltage of the TPS? If you can't find a leak then you might want to replace the TPS...Those things are crazy sensitive and sometimes just removing them can cause them to go bad.
LOL i didn't put on. It came with the car and your right its a hunk of ****. I'm getting the original back so i can put that on till i can afford a nice single blade accufab and plenum. I cleaned the iac for the second time and the problem is corrected. Still the slightly choppy idle thanks to the pos bbk but other then that good to go. My local Ford is ordering the new part and replacing under warranty. thanks for every ones replies .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to markwondi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp23
Is there a CEL comeing on? Usually when it runs that rought it throws a code..
Ha!

No, not really.

The engines in my dyno cell misfire their asses off, and run 20:1 A/F and i never see any codes :eyepoppin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006
GT Member
4.6L Member

You may need to actually REPLACE the IAC. I cleaned the hell out of mine, and still had a "hanging idle". I went to NAPA, bought a new IAC and she idles like new now.

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006
mbhmustang1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwondi
Ha!

No, not really.

The engines in my dyno cell misfire their asses off, and run 20:1 A/F and i never see any codes :eyepoppin

Yep when my IAC crapped out, it never threw a code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page