1998 GT. Will it fit? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

1998 GT. Will it fit?

Hi guys, I found a great deal on a 07-10 Shelby 5.4 engine online. Im curious if anyone has had any experience swapping this motor in. Im only considering this as this engine has 550rwhp and 40k miles, and for the price (8,000), it seems better than cobra swap, etc. If only i could reach 550 with my current motor by forging and adding KB blower for 8 grand

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Yes it will fit. I am not sure if you need a different hood. I know a Navigator engine will fit with the right intake. Do some research, you will need the exhaust manifolds and you will have to either find or build an exhaust ssytem. Everything else will be different but it will definitely fit.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!! Sounds like a cool project!!

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014
Rookie

It will be a cool build thread if you jump on it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I got thinking, with about 600hp, my tranny and rear end wont last long, and i only have $8,000 to work with. So, now i'm thinking maybe 400rwhp will be my goal. If you guys were in my position with npi 2v, full bolt ons, would you want to forge the motor, get a newer forged motor (PI) and boost that, just boost the one i have? So many options....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Yeah I am going with the lesser extreme of the DOHC 5.4 with the Lincoln Navigator. the torque is the best part about going with the 5.4 which is why I want to do it. However there are people who have gone quite far with the 2V. If I wanted to go with the 2V I would get a teskid block and a set of PI heads. that is a basic idea. Since I have not researched that particular build I would no know the specifics. It is cool that the heads and blocks between the 4.6 and 5.4 are interchangeable in most cases.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah i like the compatibility of the two. And why would you change block? The stock block should hold PLENTY of HP right? Whats the advantage
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

^^ The Teksid aluminum block is every bit as strong as a cast iron, but sheds about 60 lbs off the front of the car.

I like the GT500 swap idea, and that's a killer price on the engine especially considering that 03/04 Cobra engines are going for about that much, but if $8K is your budget (period) then I'd say that swap is a bit out of reach at the moment.

You would at a minimum need of course the engine, pcm and main wiring harness, I doubt that your existing K member could be used, about the only thing from your existing fuel system that could be reused is the tank itself, that engine would eat your T45 trans for lunch and probably the rear axles too.... And that's just the few things that come to mind for a guy like me with no experience at all with this kind of thing, I'm sure somebody who knows their sh!t could elaborate in further detail.

Bottom line is it's anything BUT a plug n' play or otherwise direct swap.

If you're really bent on it though, especially considering the price it might not be a bad idea to jump on that deal and just hang onto the engine for a couple years or whatever while you do your homework and round up the other necessary items needed.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
^^ The Teksid aluminum block is every bit as strong as a cast iron, but sheds about 60 lbs off the front of the car.

I like the GT500 swap idea, and that's a killer price on the engine especially considering that 03/04 Cobra engines are going for about that much, but if $8K is your budget (period) then I'd say that swap is a bit out of reach at the moment.

You would at a minimum need of course the engine, pcm and main wiring harness, I doubt that your existing K member could be used, about the only thing from your existing fuel system that could be reused is the tank itself, that engine would eat your T45 trans for lunch and probably the rear axles too.... And that's just the few things that come to mind for a guy like me with no experience at all with this kind of thing, I'm sure somebody who knows their sh!t could elaborate in further detail.

Bottom line is it's anything BUT a plug n' play or otherwise direct swap.

If you're really bent on it though, especially considering the price it might not be a bad idea to jump on that deal and just hang onto the engine for a couple years or whatever while you do your homework and round up the other necessary items needed.
I agree about the GT500 engine. perhaps you can buy the engine and then get the trans and rear gears later. Well most importantly BRAKES!!! You will need more than the stock ones to be effective to hold the power you are putting to this 'stang. Not to mention chassis bracing should also be done imho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page