Hard to crank after sct tune - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hard to crank after sct tune

I've had my sct tuner for about a month now and although it has made my car quicker, i think it's also made it hard to start sometimes. It doesn't happen often (maybe once or twice a week) and it mostly does it when I have done a bit of driving or on warmer days. Sometimes the car will start and just shut off, when I try to crank it immediately after, it just turns and turns but won't crank. Whenever I turn the key back and wait for 20-30 seconds it starts. I also have a leaky intake manifold which is leaking coolant but I don't think that would have anything to do with the cranking problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2004 40th anniversary GT convertible

3'5 Magnaflow exhaust tips, Upper n lower rear decklid panels, Flowmaster 40's,
4.10s, Sct tuner, mach 1 grill delete, AM Whiteface guages, chrome cobra wheels, Nittos 275 40r 17 front/315 35r 17 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3chi3 View Post
Sometimes the car will start and just shut off, when I try to crank it immediately after, it just turns and turns but won't crank.
This symptom can be associated with a bad battery or dirty/loose battery terminals.

Today's cars simply will not run right without a strong battery and charging system. Cut corners here at your own risk.

Quote:
I also have a leaky intake manifold which is leaking coolant but I don't think that would have anything to do with the cranking problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
A leaky intake manifold.

Seriously. If coolant can get out, why can't air get in? Also where does the coolant go? Maybe the spark plug wells where it can ground out the spark plugs?

Here's a crank with no start check list that may give you some more things to check.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...e.html#2984838

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
I also have a leaky intake manifold which is leaking coolant but I don't think that would have anything to do with the cranking problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Manifold gasket?? Are you sure your not leaking into the intake runners? Wet plugs would cause this issue. (not to mention water/gas mix)

-Matt

I'm not a "tuner", I am a ecu software engineer. Its different.

2011 GT500 = It gets me from A to B

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes it is the intake manifold gasket, and it's leaking below the radiator hose. The battery is about a month old and I've checked the terminals which seem to be in pretty good condition. I got my tuner and tune done at a local tuner shop here in which i got the 87 tune, my shift points changed, and a few other things (disabled traction control, and adjusted my speedometer). The reason I asked about the tune causing this is because my mechanic said that tuners cause this problem with some cars and that it had something to do with the timing. I've never heard of this and wanted to know what you guys thought.

2004 40th anniversary GT convertible

3'5 Magnaflow exhaust tips, Upper n lower rear decklid panels, Flowmaster 40's,
4.10s, Sct tuner, mach 1 grill delete, AM Whiteface guages, chrome cobra wheels, Nittos 275 40r 17 front/315 35r 17 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page