need help on recognizing stock cams from performance cams - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

need help on recognizing stock cams from performance cams

Ok im doing a swap engine from the same year the car is but when I bought the 99 mustang gt the guys told me it has performance parts already installed but a few months ago I checked the compression through the cap where you put oil from and it was throwing air through the hole. So I went to get a new engine but thought what it has parts in the engine so I took the vavle cover off and realized it is pretty to tell if the cams are stock or performance cams so let me upload a pic of the cam installed on ghe head and you guyd can probably tell

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140328_142928.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	330153  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014
GT Member
4.6L Member

Did you get a new engine just because it was throwing oil out of the oil filler hole while the engine was running? If you are going to test compression on an engine, that is not how you do it. Compression is tested one cylinder at a time by removing the spark plug and hooking up the compression tester gauge and crank the engine. This step should be repeated for each cylinder. As for the fact that the engine blew some oil through the filler hole when running is not uncommon, although it should not be blowing oil out of there, in which case something would be very wrong.

I can't help you much with your question about the cams, but I believe most companies engrave their name or logo somewhere on the cam axle. Try rotating it and look for the engravings, they should be at one of the ends.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry I took long to respond back but I dont have the tools to do the compression test on each cylinder and cant afford someone that will do it mechanics say that air is blowing out of the engine thruogh the oil filler it is defenitly the compression but could be the rings on the pistons as well and it will be cheaper to buy a used engine than rebuilding it but the reason I was asking about cams is to take them out before I trade the engine for the core in junkyard

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

A little bit of oil being slung out of the oil fill hole is okay. If there is a "breeze" coming out of there, then you'll have what's called BLOWBY. Which is compressed air from the cylinders escaping into the engine. The more blowby, the worse your engine.
You can borrow a compression tester from your local auto parts store for free. Just screw it into each cylinder one by one and crank the engine to get a reading. Then compare. Pretty simple.

Nothing better than factory smooth...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I would agree, a compression test is something that is needed before assuming the engine is bad....could be that you have a bad head gasket and with a new one your engine would be back to normal...

As far as performance cams...Look for engravings on the cams for the manufacturer. Other than that, I'm not too sure...

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page