SVO intake or PI intake? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
SVO intake or PI intake?

I'm hoping and praying someone will know.

I've been offered an SVO intake with everything minus the fuel rails, but have been advised how a quick trip to the part store can fix that.

So I am asking, because I've been on google since it came up for sale, with no avail.

Here is the situation:

96 GT
doing a half NPI build.
PI intake, and some MHS stage 2 NPI cams, and the normal goodies.

Then this intake came up...a direct fit for the most part, but I can't find any information on it.

So I'm asking should I spring for the SVO or just keep my PI?

I wish I could post my search history, believe me I've searched. The closest I've found are people fitting it to pi heads.

But I've dug around enough to find that the compression bump and few ponies aren't needed in my daily driver build. So I'm playing in NPI parts for now. Besides MHS has done some amazing things with stock NPI heads and it's right around where I want to be. So please don't do the PI heads or go home speech

Thanks in advance to any and all input, because aside from it being rare, and the intake the bullitt was modeled after, not a whole lot popping up.

1993 Mustang GT
UDPs, Smog/AC Delete, O/R H, Dumped Straight Pipes, 155lph Fuel Pump, Factory "CAI"

Mostly Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I know nothing about the SVO intake beyond it's rarity. Which is probably the same as you're already coming across.

PI heads or gtfo.

Lol, just kidding haha. Had to do it.

Honestly dude I would just stick with the plan for a PI intake on top of the NPI heads, it's a proven combo and you already know what to expect out of it. If the SVO stuff was so great back in it's day then it 1) wouldn't have gone out of production, or at least there would have been many many more made and not be so rare, and 2) there would probably be more readily available info out there on it due to it's popularity. That's my take, anyway.

Since you're talking to somebody at MHS, maybe ask them if they know amything about the SVO intake.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The most solid thing I've found, which may be why no one has one..is apparently it was 1900 for the intake alone

1993 Mustang GT
UDPs, Smog/AC Delete, O/R H, Dumped Straight Pipes, 155lph Fuel Pump, Factory "CAI"

Mostly Restoration

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
I know nothing about the SVO intake beyond it's rarity. Which is probably the same as you're already coming across.

PI heads or gtfo.

Lol, just kidding haha. Had to do it.

Honestly dude I would just stick with the plan for a PI intake on top of the NPI heads, it's a proven combo and you already know what to expect out of it. If the SVO stuff was so great back in it's day then it 1) wouldn't have gone out of production, or at least there would have been many many more made and not be so rare, and 2) there would probably be more readily available info out there on it due to it's popularity. That's my take, anyway.

Since you're talking to somebody at MHS, maybe ask them if they know amything about the SVO intake.
It is great manifold but it was pricey that's why. M-9424-D46 then switched to M-9424-E46 which was a kit for 1295.00 in 1999. This was listed in 1999 Ford motorsport catalog
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
It is great manifold but it was pricey that's why. M-9424-D46 then switched to M-9424-E46 which was a kit for 1295.00 in 1999. This was listed in 1999 Ford motorsport catalog
If you know any details at all I'd love to hear em!!
This has been like hunting bigfoot.

My theory is it is basically a bullitt intake for NPI heads, which would make an awesome torque curve, bullitts make great torque curves, but that's purely conjecture on my end.
More info about the heads or the blower than the actual intake.

1993 Mustang GT

Mostly Restoration
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastStang14 View Post
If you know any details at all I'd love to hear em!!
This has been like hunting bigfoot.

My theory is it is basically a bullitt intake for NPI heads, which would make an awesome torque curve, bullitts make great torque curves, but that's purely conjecture on my end.
More info about the heads or the blower than the actual intake.
Both are almost the same but SVO intake was slightly better. Trickflow manifold looks close to SVO and Bullet intake. Flow numbers I don't have them I know several magazines did test them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
So it'd be worth it to buy it, since it comes with everything.
If it outdoes a PI intake, and fits NPI heads perfectly and I have nice cams to boot, I should have a pretty solid NPI street build.

1993 Mustang GT

Mostly Restoration
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014
GT Member

NPI 2v heads not greatest that's why switch to PI heads. Just putting PI head on NPI short block roughly puts out 275 hp. Also raises compression ratio which helps a lot with low end torq plus the PI heads flow better. My brother is doing this right now on 96 GT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah, I found a good price on an intake, heads/cams, with 60k
So I sprung for it.
Figure may as well since I don't plan to run boost.

Little iffy about taking the timing cover apart though

1993 Mustang GT

Mostly Restoration
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
NPI 2v heads not greatest that's why switch to PI heads. Just putting PI head on NPI short block roughly puts out 275 hp. Also raises compression ratio which helps a lot with low end torq plus the PI heads flow better. My brother is doing this right now on 96 GT
My understanding is, in stock form yes the PI's do outflow NPI. The bump in compression PI heads give is also greatly responsible for the gains vs. NPI heads. The additional cam lift on PI helps as well.

Not that anybody out there is rushing to do an NPI conversion, but what I have heard and read from those who seem to know their shet on the subject (including Nick at MHS) is that worked NPI heads are capable of outflowing worked PI heads.

NPI heads aren't quite as junk as many of us have been lead to believe, that's all.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
My understanding is, in stock form yes the PI's do outflow NPI. The bump in compression PI heads give is also greatly responsible for the gains vs. NPI heads. The additional cam lift on PI helps as well.

Not that anybody out there is rushing to do an NPI conversion, but what I have heard and read from those who seem to know their shet on the subject (including Nick at MHS) is that worked NPI heads are capable of outflowing worked PI heads.

NPI heads aren't quite as junk as many of us have been lead to believe, that's all.
Ok we can beat this subject over and over. But we are talking stock vs stock anyone can go port them NPI and PI heads get some great numbers. But theres one problem with that it looses low lift flow where we need it on the street and aka drivability. It's very hard to have good flow at low lift and max lift. Other funny thing why show flow at .600 lift most cams don't go that far. Look at 351C 4v heads hugh valves and ports but flow poorly especially low lift and then current crop of smallblock head that out flow them. When shopping for cyl heads look at low lift flow
PONY Member
4.6L Member

An SVO intake is pretty rare, and old. If you want something along those lines grab a Bullitt intake manifold or a Trickflow Track heat. But to answer your question, save your money and just get a PI intake manifold. People are always selling their used ones for nothing. Especially on NPI heads, you wont gain much with a Bullitt style intake manifold.

2001 GT Mustang

Cheers!
Rookie

Get the SVO. I love mine. Back in the day Ford said around 35hp gain. That was probably with the SVO heads though. I used my stock rails. I just cut the return line free from the rail and it fit fine. I hope what you found has a throttle cable...otherwise you might have problems finding one. 96-98 Cobra should work too. I've got PI heads and MHS NA stage 2 PI cams with my SVO intake. I definitely feel more torque driving around town than what I had with the PI intake. IMO the SVO looks a hell of lot better than a the PI.

97 GT
PI swap and all the bolt-ons
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by me97gt View Post
Get the SVO. I love mine. Back in the day Ford said around 35hp gain. That was probably with the SVO heads though. I used my stock rails. I just cut the return line free from the rail and it fit fine. I hope what you found has a throttle cable...otherwise you might have problems finding one. 96-98 Cobra should work too. I've got PI heads and MHS NA stage 2 PI cams with my SVO intake. I definitely feel more torque driving around town than what I had with the PI intake. IMO the SVO looks a hell of lot better than a the PI.
Yeah, I talked with MHS, they said NPI 2.5s with just the PI intake would yield really nice gains.
The motor is getting up there in mileage, doesn't burn oil or anything, but I don't want to invest too heavily on something I plan to replace anyway.

Just looking to bump power for the here and now.

1993 Mustang GT

Mostly Restoration
GT Member

If taken care of if will last 200,000 miles and more. Only issue valve seals will need replaced oh so much fun in the car. Helped my brother twice real fun one was 4.6 4v in his T-bird never again motor will come out next time.

Even with PI manifold on NPI heads gained some power with mis-match ports.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page