1996 mustang gt can get a crown Vic? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

1996 mustang gt can get a crown Vic?

I am looking around the Internet and can't find a solid answer or not understanding them, but I have a 1996 Mustang and somebody told me that I can get a crown Vic motor and just put the motor into the mustang and just put my Mustang accessories from the motor to the Crown Vic motor. Is this something I can do and also is there a horse power depletion if I went to the crown motor instead of a Mustang motor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I could be wrong.
But depending on year (heads/cams)
The actual motors are the same.
It's the intake and ecm that make the difference.

I know all 4.6 PI engines have the same heads/cams, but the intakes and ecms are what do the difference.
IE the 99+ mustang intake and computer make the difference, because the blocks are the same, the pi heads are the same, as are cams.
Now the one thing I do not feel confident about is what year crown vic 4.6s are Windsor or Romeo. That will factor in a few other things.
But if the vic motor is Romeo, you should be golden.

The only thing is remember our 96s have a sensor in the oil pan...don't know about crown vics, but 2v mustang 4.6s from 97-04 don't so you'd need to keep your oil pan and sensor.
But 99% sure the rest is a swap in.
You may need to keep your mustang 4.6 sensors, but again not entirely sure.
But all 2v 4.6s are about the same if not exactly minus wiring harnesses, ecms, and intakes, tb, etc. But longblocks are the same.
If I am wrong on this someone who knows better will correct me.

I know alot of crown vic guys swap in mustang engines, so I see no reason why the reverse isn't possible.

1993 Mustang GT
UDPs, Smog/AC Delete, O/R H, Dumped Straight Pipes, 155lph Fuel Pump, Factory "CAI"

Mostly Restoration
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 on above.

For the 96+ model year within the same type (PI or non_PI), the long blocks are the SAME. Same cams. Same pistons, Same crank. Same heads. Same intake manifold.

The difference in horse power is related to the Mustang specific items such as PCM tune, fuel injectors, exhaust manifold, and upper intake/throttle body.

If this were my car, I would look for a Romeo PI from a 2001+ Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town car. This will give you the upgraded PI heads for almost nothing.

This topic is covered in these forums frequently. Tons of threads on this swap.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page