Air bubbles on oil dipstick - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Air bubbles on oil dipstick

I checked my oil this morning and it had air bubbles on it. What does this mean? If anything good or bad I don't know. My car is a 99 GT

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The motor has 200k on it also

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
Banned

I don't think a few air bubbles means anything unless the oil is milky beige colored and/or foamy which would indicate water in the oil (blown head gasket).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah there's no milky color to it. Just oil and it smells like gas mixing with it too

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Only condition I'm aware which can cause foaming or frothing of the oil is gross overfilling, it's caused by the lobes of the crankshaft are dipping down into the oil. You'd have to have 7+ qts in there for that to happen though. Not that it should matter or have any bearing on this, but what brand/type of oil are you running, and how much did you put in? How long has the current oil been in there? What was your procedure on checkimg the dipstick - did you put it back in, pull it a second time and there were still bubbles?

How many bubbles are we talking? A few, or is the dipstick covered in them? If only a few, although I would also be curious I don't think it's anything to be troubled about. If it's a lot, then there might be a problem.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Gas in the oil = bad.

Some possible causes of gas in the oil are:
  • a stuck open (mechanically or electrically) fuel injector
  • a cam related DTC.
  • poor piston ring oil control. IE excessive blow by

Are there any outstanding DTC codes?

Consider that the bubbles may indeed be from over filling. Further, the overfilling could be from the gas.

Note, gas in the oil likely means that the cylinder walls could be gas washed as well. This will wash the oil film away possibly leading to a short service life. Don't keep running this motor unless you want more expensive repairs in your future.

With the high mileage on this motor some consideration should be given to a compression test and a cylinder leak down test.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well I checked it when it was hot and that's why the bubbles were there. After sitting overnight I checked it again and its fine but I'm burning OR losing oil. I did my last oil change 2 months ago. And I use motorcraft oil 5w20. But while looking at my engine I noticed wetness on the driver side head under the intake. It's not coolant, I haven't lost any coolant. Im guessing its oil. It's black and nasty under there and only on the driver side and its going down into the valley of the engine and the head itself looks clean but the block/valley below looks a mess. Possible headgasket?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangystang View Post
Well I checked it when it was hot and that's why the bubbles were there. After sitting overnight I checked it again and its fine but I'm burning OR losing oil. I did my last oil change 2 months ago. And I use motorcraft oil 5w20. But while looking at my engine I noticed wetness on the driver side head under the intake. It's not coolant, I haven't lost any coolant. Im guessing its oil. It's black and nasty under there and only on the driver side and its going down into the valley of the engine and the head itself looks clean but the block/valley below looks a mess. Possible headgasket?

My engine had that same thing in the valley of the block. I would advise spraying some engine degreaser or Simple Green down in there and let is sit for about 20 minutes. Get a pressure washer and shoot the crap out of that area. Mine cleaned up well. Then, keep an eye on it. This way you will know 100% if its leaking there or not. How low is your oil anyway?

With 200k, it's most likely burning some oil...

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Okay, I will try that. But this stuff is shiny like its fresh so I'm sure its something that will probably just come right back. and not real sure exactly how low, but below halfway right now. and ive been on 2 really long trips with my car since the last oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page