Fuel Pressure Problem help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Fuel Pressure Problem help!

Recently I dropped and emptied the tank, changed out the fuel pump and fuel filter for my 2001 stock GT. The car had been sitting for about a year and a half and wouldn't start until I changed out the pump. It held idle but, ran rough and when I put it in 1st gear the motor would die. The Ford dealership said the codes indicated: 1) Misfire 2) Vacuum Leak 3) Fuel Pressure. So they checked for the Misfire and couldn't find anything; did a smoke check and couldn't find a vacuum leak; checked fuel pressure and found 29psi, which is extremely low. They want to change out the fuel pump for $1,100.00 but, told me there's no guarantee it's the fix. Also, they did a "ring check" and said all cylinders compression is good. My question is: 1) could the FPDM be defective, or 2) I found out that the fuel tank filler neck attachment and screen were broken off in the tank this attachment is at the end that is in the tank. Apparently the pump must have been changed once before. I did change out the grommet however, i didn't think to change out the filler neck because I thought the device at the end was used to prevent siphoning of the gas. I also removed all the broken pieces from the filler neck that were in the tank before I reinstalled the new fuel pump. Could that missing attachment at the end of the filler neck be causing the fuel pump to not deliver enough pressure?

06 GT/Blue/Manual/Tillman Speed Stage One Edlebrock EForce Supercharger Kit w/Tillman Custom SCT Tune:yelpleased:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

How was the fuel pressure measured? With an external gauge or as reported by the PCM? Depending on how and when the measurement was done. 30 may not be that low.

For example if measured with an external gauge, 32 PSI would be a normal idle fuel pressure. If measured as reported by the PCM, 30 PSI is indeed low.

What has been done to rule out a bad fuel rail pressure sensor?

When the fuel pump was replaced are you POSITIVE the correct fuel pump for the application (return-less) was used? If the wrong fuel pump was used, this could cause problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808StangLvr View Post
Could that missing attachment at the end of the filler neck be causing the fuel pump to not deliver enough pressure?
IMO highly unlikely.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

Last edited by wmburns; 04-06-2014 at 07:28 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for your reply, I will check these items and let you know

06 GT/Blue/Manual/Tillman Speed Stage One Edlebrock EForce Supercharger Kit w/Tillman Custom SCT Tune:yelpleased:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page