2000 mustang gt starter excite wire from switch? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2000 mustang gt starter excite wire from switch?

Im having a touch of trouble with mine. I have a swapped mustang and wanted to maintain the factory starting wire, problem is, its been SO LONG since i pulled the dash and put it back in.

If im remembering right, it was a white wire that activated the starter on the 2000 gt, but cant remember.

I just re-installed the column and the ignition switch, out for almost a year.

the question and problem im having is, does that wire go all the way back to the switch under the column? I cant seem to find it behind the dash any longer, and thought id just solder a new wire in from the switch to activate that starter, from the loom of wires at the switch, if thats possible? I could always utilize a push button, but really wanted the key to start it

Thanks all

For what its worth, i did find a couple remote start threads, that did indicate a possible white with pink, and a tan wire....

Do these go all the way to yellowish ignition switch under the column?

Kyle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

well i guess assuming this is correct, it does, could i simply clip it off at the switch and run a new dedicated wire down to my starter solenoid?

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...itchwiring.gif

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to do and why. Are you trying to install a remote start system?

However, I can tell you that power for the starter pilot circuit comes from fuse F2.4. Fuse F2.4 is hot only in start. The wire color is RD/LB.

The starter circuit is a PILOT duty circuit with an interface relay. If you attempted to power the starter solenoid directly from the factory ignition switch, expect the service life of the ignition switch to be short due to the large current draw. This would also disable the start safeties.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, i think i understand what your saying.

Yes, im trying to activate the starter from the switch directly. The gm starter is all inclusive with the solenoid enclosed. I think when i did the "button" start, i simply ran a 12v through the button straight to the lug on the starter to excite it.

so your saying if did this with the ignition switch as ford has it, i would risk ruining the ignition switch faster?

As far as the safeties are concerned, thats not a big deal, i have a safety switch in my ECM that wont allow it to start without it activated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page