Suspension questions before I do any further upgrades - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Question Suspension questions before I do any further upgrades

I rescently started upgrading my suspension on my 2003 gt. I started with eibach pro kit springs and added some BF Goodrich kdw tires(the cool looking tread pattern). Big improvement! I got the cash to get the pro damper kit thats matched for the springs, and the anti roll kit. But before I proceed.......Ive got some questions.

1. A friend of mine put the springs on in his garage, and he never used a compressor. With a jack, we lifted the rear end and were able to get the springs on with no problem. The fronts were done the same way, but were more difficult to get off and on. We got it done though. Was that approach wrong without the compressor? If so, should I get it done over, using a compressor?

2. I want my car to fly around corners with a lot of control. I am at the point to where I can still turn back and re do the whole thing. Im a noob at suspension, but eibach was a reputable name that I trusted.....especially with springs. With the eibach pro kit springs, pro damper kit, and anti roll.......am I looking at a quality suspension that will compete with that of a griggs or a steeda g trac? Will I be able to hang with the classes of porches and vettes?

3. What do I do about caster/camber?

4. Do I need pan hard bar? Bump steer kit? Coil over kit? Rear upper and lower control arms?

I would appreciate weight reduction also, and I do prefer the racy stiff suspension rather than a cadillac feel.

Has anyone tried the whole eibach system? Any other systems that would work great with my eibach pro kit?

2003 Ford mustang gt- Dark mineral grey w black leather interior, dark grey window tint and 17" FR500 rims.

Mods- 2000 Cobra R Brembo Big Brake Kit, Steeda CAI, 3:55 gears, Eibach pro kit springs, Eibach front & rear sway bars, Eibach pro damper kit, Nitto 555 tires, diablo predator performance tune, steeda underdrive pulleys, hi flow x pipe, and flowmaster american thunder II catback system. Nothing but 93 octane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to Nicks79 Send a message via Yahoo to Nicks79 Send a message via Skype™ to Nicks79
Hey man and welcome! Great to see another from Colorado too!

As for your questions, your springs were done correctly if you made sure they sat in the buckets properly, which would be hard not to do. As for your second question, you really got to be cautious how extreme you wanna go, as a stiffer, well oriented suspension would be better handling, you will loose A LOT of ride comfort and overall long trip drivability unless your springs are progressive, and you get adjustable shocks and struts ect. I have heard really good things about subframe connectors for road applications around here, but I am no expert.

As for caster/ Camber... Factory strut adjustment SUCKS! Get a set of Steeda adjustable 4 bolt strut plates off of a reputable site, or ebay. If you wanted to do something a little cheaper, I know a guy on the forum who is selling some adjustable struts, and the upper caster/camber plates.

Hope this helps, good luck and hope to see you not only on the forums but on the roads as well (I-25 baby)

1997 Mustang GT- DOHC, Termec T-45, LT Headers, Bassani O/R X, Tri-ax, 3.73s, JLT CAI, BAMA tune

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Thanks for the reply! For the record......my eibach springs are progressive with the pro kit I installed. With the g force kdw's, driving around the mountains is heaven. I want to get the pro damper kit, but I am not sure if they are adjustable for long road trips. The anti roll kit is something I want to finish off the suspension with too.

Now, I understand that the factory lower control arms suck. What about aftermarket upper control arms? Im thinking steeda with the upper and lower, but I have seen threads that claim that you only need to swap the lower control arms. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Like I said in my first post, I can still turn back and start over. Im not concerned about ride quality. I like feeling every bump and dip. It makes me feel what the suspension is telling me about the road.

E mail me when you plan a trip to Denver man! I would love to see your 97.

2003 Ford mustang gt- Dark mineral grey w black leather interior, dark grey window tint and 17" FR500 rims.

Mods- 2000 Cobra R Brembo Big Brake Kit, Steeda CAI, 3:55 gears, Eibach pro kit springs, Eibach front & rear sway bars, Eibach pro damper kit, Nitto 555 tires, diablo predator performance tune, steeda underdrive pulleys, hi flow x pipe, and flowmaster american thunder II catback system. Nothing but 93 octane

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to Nicks79 Send a message via Yahoo to Nicks79 Send a message via Skype™ to Nicks79
I believe steeda does make adjustable control arms, you can adjust them any way you like. I just have standard after market fixed on mine, nothing real special

Ill let you know next time Im up towards bid D, we should it up Bandamere again on the test and tune nights
Hope this helps!

1997 Mustang GT- DOHC, Termec T-45, LT Headers, Bassani O/R X, Tri-ax, 3.73s, JLT CAI, BAMA tune

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
Steeda makes some good control arms, I had them on my GT and was pleased with them. If handling is your main concern, I would go with the fixed length upper and lowers w/ urethane bushings on both ends. The spherical rods and adjustable arms are more for drag racing and make for a rough, noisy ride.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Well, its been a while!!!

I still have my 03 Mustang GT with 49,000 Colorado miles on it, but its been garaged for years! 2 weeks ago, I finally finished my Eibach suspension with the front and rear sway bars and the Eibach shocks and struts to match. And I had some caster/camber plates put on at the same time. The couple of times I have gone for a short ride, I do notice a big lift in cornering. And the caster/camber plates corrected all of that bump steer and wonky steering that having the lowering springs by themselves had caused. Check out my new rims and tires!!!

Today I am having my 2000 Cobra R Brembo brakes installed to compliment the new suspension. I am curious as what to expect from the big brake kit vs the stock brakes. Am I going to be smiling from ear to ear?
Suspension questions before I do any further upgrades-20131116_123852.jpg

Last edited by OUTCRY2112; 11-22-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I bet you will be! Our stock brakes leave a lot to be desired. I personally think they suck a$$...My 2009 Malibu brakes better!

Pretty cool you have the car still after all these years (7 years ). Do you track it or plan on it?

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Pretty cool you have the car still after all these years (7 years ). Do you track it or plan on it?
I would love to take my car to a road course one day. "Engines pumping and thumping in time" LOL

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I would recommend to proceed with the full Eibach setup.

Then add these:
79-04 Mustang Chrome Moly Urethane Control Arm Package

And these:
94-04 Mustang Billet Shark Caster Camber Plates

That setup with the right tires will be a formidable combo in the twisties!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page