Quick Cooling Fix for 1996 Mustang GT's - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quick Cooling Fix for 1996 Mustang GT's

I recently bought Matt Stone's Mustang 5.0 & 4.6, 79-98. when it explained that when 96 cars came out they tended to run a little bit on the warm side, i've upgraded the cooling system over the time i've owned the car andthe book explains that the grill used on 96 only restricted airflow and Ford didn't put one back on97-98 cars, i took a look at mine and removed the grille (its snap one so it's only a matter of pusing it back and it coms off) the car runs coller and to my appreciation looks meaner too.

96GT:BBK CAI,X-Pipe,plenum,75mm TB,JBA wires, Accel coil packs, SCT X-Calibrator II Dyno-tune, 180termo,Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch, Hurst Billet Shifter,FR(ceramic coated)shorty headers, 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Cat Back(3.5 tips), FR handling kit,Bullit wheels: 18x9, 245/40/ZR18's front, 18x10, 285/40/ZR18's back,190gph FR fuel pump, Maximum Motorsport subframe connectors, Full PI swap. 246rwhp,288trq.
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007
PONY Member
4.6L Member

running hot

I never heard of this or had this problem on mine. Guess I need to check it out more.
Thanks.

'96 GT: Steeda UDP&TA, PI swap, Comp cams &springs, C&L 80mm meter/intake/plenum,75 mm TB, BBK shortie headers & X pipe, FlowMaster catback, Spec aluminium flywheel,Cobra clutch, UPR shifter and clutch quadrant, alum. driveshaft, Steeda rear swaybar & subframes, 3.73 gears & 31 spline axles, FRPP brakes,Granatellie K-member/suspension (F&R), battery in trunk, NX 100 hp wet kit, 255 lph pump, MSD DIS ignition, 17X9/17X10.5 Mach 1 rims. 300rwhp n/a 381 w/nos
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007

Extreme measures

I own a 96 GT too. I'd always had a problem with it running hot (2/3 of the temp guage). I am used to Toyotas and they never went up more than a third of the temp guage. I replaced the thermostat with a lower temp one, installed a resistor on the fan so it kicks in much faster, put a bigger radiator, and installed another smaller fan in front of the radiator. Finally, I got the temp issue under control. Now, it never goes byond half of the guage . I might as well try removing the grill. after all cooler engine means more performance and a longer life

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007

Yeah, mine too

My 96 GT use to run Hot and had ever since I got it. Adding the Procharger with 10lbs Boost Innercooled didn't help any, neither did the stall speed T/C etc. I installed a larger radiator and my car now runs cooler than it ever has. Before I tried the Radiator, I used the Red Line Watter Wetter, it made a little difference, but not enough.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

When I bought my 96 it too used to run at 2/3 of the temp gauge, I installed a metal radiator(don't trust plastic) a new temp sensor and an autometer gauge with a sender in an elbow on the upper radiator hose, now it runs much cooler and the autometer always reads in the 180-210 range (it gets in the 100's in the summer here on the tropics) and the factory gauge is always in the left corner.

96GT:BBK CAI,X-Pipe,plenum,75mm TB,JBA wires, Accel coil packs, SCT X-Calibrator II Dyno-tune, 180termo,Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch, Hurst Billet Shifter,FR(ceramic coated)shorty headers, 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Cat Back(3.5 tips), FR handling kit,Bullit wheels: 18x9, 245/40/ZR18's front, 18x10, 285/40/ZR18's back,190gph FR fuel pump, Maximum Motorsport subframe connectors, Full PI swap. 246rwhp,288trq.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009
Rookie

Don't waste your time doing all the above modifications. I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy. I also spend $380 on a Fluidyne radiator and I still had the running hot problem. Finally, when I ordered a STC tuner, I requested for the low fan to engage at 180 degrees, and the high fan at 195. If you don’t want to invest in a tune, just get a fan control regulator and you will resolve this issue. The only con is that when that high fan kicks in, you will hear it, but who cares when you have a cooling problem.

1996 GT Original Owner, BBK LT Headers, X-pipe (2.5/catted/custom), Flowmaster 3 chamber, 373, SCT, CAI, 240 high flow fuel pump, Fluidyne Radiator, FRPP Springs C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page