Coolant pouring out when car is off.. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Coolant pouring out when car is off..

Hey Guys, Just picked up the car a couple weeks ago and a couple nights ago I noticed there was some squealing going on thought maybe it was my power steering. didn't drive to far and drove cautiously home. When I got out of the car I noticed a bit of steam coming form the hood so I popped it and tried to locate where the steam was coming from but could not pin point, i carefully removed the coolant reservoir cap and a ton of pressure got released and it was completely empty which is odd because i did not have a low coolant light on. The next morning I filled it up with some water and drove it to work once the engine got warm enough to circulate water through the system the squealing stopped completely, so when I got home I checked the reservoir again to be safe and it was empty again.... so I went and poured some water in and looked down below and it starts pouring out just as soon as I put it in the reservoir without even turning the car on. I didn't have time to diagnose it at the time but noticed that it was leaking out somewhere towards the bottom possibly by the water pump just above the sway bar. Car never really overheated and it definitely stayed at standard operating temps when I first filled it with water. My thoughts are a bad water pump but wanted to get some more opinions before I went and threw parts at the car...

Thank you so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014
Rookie

on an oldsmobile I had, the radiator went bad completely. when that happened, the water being poured in, came out of the bottom instantly.

on my 1996 mustang, radiator hose blew. but those are obvious when they break.

on my 2000 mustang, the water pump wasn't destroyed, but it was leaking, it ended up just being the water pump gasket.

If you find your waterpump pulley, look to see if the water being poured into the resivor is coming out just under that, or if it is leaking somewhere else.

on my 2000 mustang, it was fairly obvious since there was a little trail of anti freeze leaking down from the water pump and dripping onto my sway bar.

I'm not an experienced mechanic. i'm just trying to help through personal experience.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for the insight, I'm almost positive its the water pump and that would be worst case scenario otherwise its a hose somewhere.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014
Rookie

Did you pinpoint the source? This can happen with a severely cracked or loose lower radiator hose. If it's the pump then the leakage will be issuing from the front of the engine block at the bottom of where the pump is mounted. And it could of course be a rusted out radiator bottom. I would recommend putting the front end up on jack-stands if you have them and taking a look underneath.

2012 3.7 manual/Procharger P1SC1 7 psi/3.73 gears/one-piece driveshaft/Magnaflow Street/Kona Blue with "Pinstriping by Howie". Dyno'd hp/ft-lb at wheels 415/335.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page