2001 Mustang GT shock/strut recomendations - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2001 Mustang GT shock/strut recomendations

Hello all! My rebuild still has the original suspension on it. Squeaks and grinds like crazy! I'm not looking to spend a ton of money; more around the KYB or Monroe market.
Any experiences or suggestions on which is better?
Or maybe a different option that isn't $$$$$$?
Thanks

Forgot to add this is mostly for daily driving right now. Not looking for drag performance.

Last edited by jonesyyes; 10-04-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: left out a detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Heard that Koni STR.T's and Tokico HP's (the blue ones) are a very decent quality and good ride, if you look around a little you should be able to do all four corners of your car for less than $400. Monroe's are pretty much garbage, but if your current shocks are blown and all you want is to drive the car again then I guess they will be better than what you currently have.

In truth, Monroe and others that you would get from your local parts store are a midrange quality stock replacement. You should bear in mind that you have posed your question on a forum which is filled mostly with people bent on doing a little better than stock replacement in most cases, so answers like mine are the sort you will mostly get.

If you want to check out the two models I mentioned, go to americanmuscle.com and latemodelrestoration.com. Both places offer those two, among others and you can also get a little discount from being a member of this forum and both ship to your door for free.

The squeaks and various noises you're hearing are likely due to worn rubber bushings. When you're ready to address all that, come back and we'll try to help you figure out what your options are.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014
Rookie

That's what I am going with, I have Monroe Sensa-Tracs from summit. Sensa-Trac Struts and rear shocks, and then Monroe Axle shocks/quad shocks. These are not racing shocks, but im not racing. Going to run these with BBK control arms and Ford Racing lowering springs.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang-Ski View Post
That's what I am going with, I have Monroe Sensa-Tracs from summit. Sensa-Trac Struts and rear shocks, and then Monroe Axle shocks/quad shocks. These are not racing shocks, but im not racing. Going to run these with BBK control arms and Ford Racing lowering springs.
Check with others to verify, but if you're gonna do a stock replacement shock (which I disagree with that decision, but it's your money dude) you should probably use ones for a Fox body ('87-'93) car since you also will be lowering it. The Fox shocks and struts are a little shorter, and so on a lowered car they will not be over compressed at all times like a stock SN95/New Edge shock would be. And they also are a direct replacement and will bolt right up without any bs.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shock , strut , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page