Engine whine when cold - '00 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Engine whine when cold - '00 GT

Hey guys,

So the cold weather is starting to hit here in TN and I'm having some issues with a whining sound. The sound only happens when I start it in the mornings. I can trace the sound to the front of the motor. The sound also fluctuates when I turn the wheel.
Now some background info: Last year during the colder months it did the same thing, sometimes the whine sound was unbearable. It was deafening at times and definitely woke up the neighbors in the morning. I came to the conclusion that it was the water pump and had it replaced. The sound went away for a few weeks then came back very subtly. It started getting warmer and the sound went away so I left it alone. But now its back and I want to do it right this time.
So I've done some research and I've narrowed it down to two different scenarios.
1. The power steering pump is bad.
2. My idler/tensioner pullies are bad.
I saw a video with a similar sound on a 4.6 and the guy replaced those pullies and the sound went away. It's much cheaper to replace the pullies so I hope it's them!
What do you all think?

2000 Mustang GT!!!
FRPP Intake manifold, Flowmaster 40's with larger pipes and tips (Nice deep tone).

"I want to own a shop where people can come and not get completely ripped off" - Ludacris (Fast Five)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Ford power steering pumps are a very common issue with whine noise. I recommend taking the belt off and then remove the 2 idler pulleys and the belt tensioner and then put finger in the bearing itself and spin the pulley. By doing this you can feel if there is any rough spots in the bearing itself and can determine if you need to replace the pulley or not. Moving on beyond that issue... How many miles are on the car? Is it the original power steering pump? Whats the condition of the power steering fluid? Power steering fluid should be a clear/light color. If it is not then I recommend doing a power steering system service on the car and getting new fluid in the system.

If you are unaware of how to do so raise front end of car off the ground so the steering effort is easy. Start the car and remove the old fluid out of the reservoir. I use a suction gun (turkey baster will also work). When the reservoir is empty add new power steering fluid to the system and then go and turn the wheels side to side until you have mixed the old and new fluid getting the older fluid out of the rack and pinion. Continue to do this process until you have clean fluid in the reservoir. I know it sounds like a pain in the a$$ but trust me it is worth it. I done this to my older 2002 GT I used to have and it got rid of my power steering whine.

Hope this helps.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Thanks for all the info!
I checked the P/S fluid and it was black! So I will definitely be doing a flush soon! The car has almost 190k miles, and yes it is the original pump. The reservoir was full and I've never had to refill it so I don't think I will replace the pump since it's not leaking.

2000 Mustang GT!!!
FRPP Intake manifold, Flowmaster 40's with larger pipes and tips (Nice deep tone).

"I want to own a shop where people can come and not get completely ripped off" - Ludacris (Fast Five)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
No problem. One big factor that nobody considers is the different fluids in the cars have a service interval to them. When oil gets dirty we change it. Why dont we do that with power steering, brakes, rear differentials, transmissions, and coolant? Changing out fluids is a time consuming job but it prolongs the life of these components. 190k is alot of miles and the bad thing is that is probably the original power steering fluid in it as well. Hopefully your whine goes away. If you ever need anything look me up. I am going to be having shoulder surgery in a few weeks and will be off work for 6-8 months so plenty of time on here LOL.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page