Ford Mustang Forum banner

Leak directly under trunk on top of fuel tank?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Crak88lx 
#1 ·
My 2000 gt has recently developed a very small oil leak from right under the trunk. I first noticed it by finding a very small dime sized oil spot on the ground in the rear of my car each time i have pulled out there is a new dime sized fresh oil spot. I found this about 2 days ago.

The oil seems to be leaking very slowly from a spot right above the fuel tank somewhere, in the picture you can also see there is a black pad that looks like it is coming out from underneath as well. This picture is right on top of the fuel tank near one of the straps. If anyone can provide any kind of info on what this is or could be it would be greatly appreciated.

I opened the trunk and found oil inside of the trunk that had leaked out of a quart of oil i had back there but it was not very much, and i dont think the oil leaking here is the same oil that is inside of my trunk but im not 100% sure on that.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know what oil is doing all the way back there.... do you know for sure it's oil? But if it's the stuff that spilled, it will find a way out, that's what oil does, puts itself between tight metal clearences. I've seen oil leak through welds, and water won't. Other than that idea I'm at a loss...

#3 ·
It was from the quart of oil that spilled in the trunk.
The quart of oil got crushed by something i loaded into the trunk. Thats pretty crazy that it leaked all the way through and dripped out.
I found more of the oil when i lifted the carpet in the trunk. Im just glad its not something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.