Cylinder Head Chirp - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew01 View Post
Header leaks suck. If you are having any oil leaks I would take this as an opportunity to fix them. Pull the motor out and fix any oil leaks, unbolt the headers and clean up the mounting surfaces on the heads. Use new gaskets, some header bolts, and loctite. I think you can make long tubes fit coming out the top of the car with the engine. I prefer to do this repair this way as it allows you to make sure all the header bolts are nice and tight and no issues going back together.

Kinda jealous you got to use the nitrous. I have been dying to use mine but always have my youngest son with me when ever I go anywhere so I cant.
Yup i do have one oil leak never got around to using the uv dye and light kit to find it yet lol but might as well soon. never pulled an engine dont even have a hoist to do it nor do I actually know how but then again when I was installing my long tubes I didnt know how to do that either but I manged to get it done in a weekend. what would be easier pulling the engine or dropping it?

yea it is crazy fun I finally had the pressure at 1050 and wow thats all I can really say lol it might be a little rich still not sure it doesn't pop if I keep my foot on the pedal and let the engine slow down gradually but if I remove my foot completely off the pedal giving it no gas then it will pop a few times. maybe it just doesn't like slowing down that fast? not sure but it will be on the dyno soon hopefully.

2003 Mustang GT Auto - Airaid CAI, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catless X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 1, 4.10 Gears, BBK 78mm Throttle Body Upper Intake Combo, 100 Shot NX Plate Kit, Dyno Tune

Suspension - 4 Cylinder Front Springs, Stock Rear Springs, Team Z CC Plates, Strange 10-way Adjustable Shocks and Struts.

241rwhp and 301tq on Mustang Dyno(outdated new #s coming soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

finally got around to changing the gaskets. driver side was fine but changed it anyways but wow the passenger side was sketchy. all of the bolts were loose and one was missing. the one that was missing didn't think anything of it I had extra header bolts and put it in and noticed it wont tighten down at all. it was stripped so I kind of cried on the inside. it took me 12 hours to change the gaskets and the problem won't be fixed (and isn't fixed) because of that stripped hole. anyone got any ideas on fixing that beside a new head.

2003 Mustang GT Auto - Airaid CAI, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catless X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 1, 4.10 Gears, BBK 78mm Throttle Body Upper Intake Combo, 100 Shot NX Plate Kit, Dyno Tune

Suspension - 4 Cylinder Front Springs, Stock Rear Springs, Team Z CC Plates, Strange 10-way Adjustable Shocks and Struts.

PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Tap the hole out and rethread the hole and put new bolt in it.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

was thinking about that but really didnt feel comfortable to do it myself :/

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

welp after trying to find someone all week to do it for me. every place I talked to turned the job down because they didn't like the idea of dropping or pulling the engine. anyways I balled up and gave it a second try. drilling and taping a new hole was not anywhere as bad as I thought. this was the third time I dropped the engine, first when my uncle and I put on the long tubes took us 3 days, second last weekend to change the gasket to see if that was the problem took me 12 hours, and then today to tape the hole and finally fix the problem and it only took me 9 hours. I had some money saved up for someone to fix it for me and since I did it myself I think that money would like to do towards some nitrous accessories

PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Congrats sir... I had some faith in you!!! Sometimes the job is more scary then it really is just thinking about it. Glad you got it fixed.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

thanks haha all goes well and nothing else breaks *knock on wood* a tune and the rest of the nitrous accessories are in the near future probably friday. have to schedule a tune soon to after that time to head to the track to see my 1/4

PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
i just picked up long tube headers, new off road xpipe, digital fuel and oil pressure gauges to replace my analog gauges, a new aluminum drive shaft, ram powergrip clutch kit and ram flywheel. I need to get my butt motivated and get this all installed, retune and track fun for me lol.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

nice sounds like your going to have a terrible weekend soon :P what long tubes did you end up getting?

PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I got pacesetter longtubes and pacesetter off-road x-pipe to match. My wife gets off work at 2:30 and she had to close last night so only got about 4 hours sleep so we have no plans for her today as we celebrated mothers day yesterday. I am putting the clutch and flywheel on today and as soon as I get the transmission back in I am dropping the K-member out and getting the headers on. I am hoping to have everything finished around 9 or 10 tonight.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

cool Never installed a flywheel or clutch I have an auto so don't know how fun that is but the long tubes will be fun for sure :P I just got done installing my Nytrex Bottle Warmer didn't get the chance to try it out it is way too hot to give it a try lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in