Bottle Heater Wire Melted - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackson3010

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Bottle Heater Wire Melted

SOooo, I'm back with a weird problem. Yesterday I wanted to have a little bit of nitrous fun. I turned on my bottle heater and drove for 30 seconds until I release there is smoke everywhere. I stopped pulled over turned everything off and checked didn't see anything. so started up and tried it again. Smoking once again. This time I pulled over without shutting everything off and noticed my wire running from my battery to the bottle heater relay was smoking everywhere and melting. I shut everything off then and checked the entire wire. It was fried and even melted into the switches wire. I pulled both wires hoping it had nothing to do with the nitrous in general and it didn't and ran perfectly fine. so does anyone have any idea why that wire just straight up melted on me? I coulded find anything wrong with the wiring it was the same since I installed it and I used it quiet a few times without this problem.

2003 Mustang GT Auto - Airaid CAI, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catless X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 1, 4.10 Gears, BBK 78mm Throttle Body Upper Intake Combo, 100 Shot NX Plate Kit, Dyno Tune

Suspension - 4 Cylinder Front Springs, Stock Rear Springs, Team Z CC Plates, Strange 10-way Adjustable Shocks and Struts.

241rwhp and 301tq on Mustang Dyno(outdated new #s coming soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Bottle heater sounds like it shorted out and caused your issues. Sorry man I hate to hear that as I know how much fun nitrous is now that I finally got a chance to run it with a good tune.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

yea thinking maybe either a short or not a big enough gauge but either way im now running a 12 gauge wire and double checked all the connections and everything fired it up today and so far its working great. thats great about you liking it. how many times did you end up spraying? i have to say nitrous has to be the best mod ive done to this car its a blast and even though i had it for almost a month now (something around there i forget how long lol) im just now finishing up my first bottle down to around 2lb

2003 Mustang GT Auto - Airaid CAI, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catless X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust 1, 4.10 Gears, BBK 78mm Throttle Body Upper Intake Combo, 100 Shot NX Plate Kit, Dyno Tune

Suspension - 4 Cylinder Front Springs, Stock Rear Springs, Team Z CC Plates, Strange 10-way Adjustable Shocks and Struts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I have been thru 4 bottles already. Some of my favorite sayings so far have been the following.
1.) Its only a 2v
2.) Dont fear the gear
3.) Say it while I "spray" it.

With the bottle I have been eating up a few wild "coyotes" in my area. Needless to say they dont expect a drop-top GT that is still running stock hood to beat them. A few camaros have backed out when they see the nitrous purge lol.

Glad you got the bottle heater issue fixed though man.

2003 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed - Mostly stock 4.6... 455 rwhp and 573 ft/lbs torque. (SOLD due to divorce)

Currently working on Coyote Swap of a 2004 GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015
PONY Member

R u running any kinda fuse. The fuse should and i said should have popped when a short happened. When i first put my 02 gt on the bottle i used a bottle in about a hour. I couldnt stop using it
JonR2006 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

havent had the chance to race anyone with my nitrous lol just love randomly spraying it i should be around 372 rwhp maybe less since it is the stock tune still but I think that should put me up to the coyotes range.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
R u running any kinda fuse. The fuse should and i said should have popped when a short happened. When i first put my 02 gt on the bottle i used a bottle in about a hour. I couldnt stop using it
no no fuse but thanks for the idea ill be putting an inline fuse in now lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page