Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal2V

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
2001 GT Manual to Auto

I'm highly considering swapping an Auto into my car...mainly for drag racing purposes but also for the added benefits of giving my wife the ability to drive it and make it a bit easier on commuting, DD, etc..(I don't plan on getting a separate DD for a little while and even if I had one I would probably drive my Mustang more than it anyway because I love driving it). The MAIN reason is drag racing...seems counterintuitive to do this to a DD but no need to comment, I take it to the track as often as I can...the long term goal of the car is drag-race oriented.

A few questions after my initial research:

1) Do I need a radiator made for an Auto car for the trans cooler lines? Unsure if the radiators in the manual cars are the same but they do not use the cooler lines...I will probably make my own cooler lines...
2) If the answer is yes to Q1, would it be easier to run an aftermarket trans cooler? I would be inclined to replace my radiator anyway but I'm a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" type of guy so if my current one can work then great!
3) I've read there are slight differences in the tranny wiring harnesses from 99-00, 01-02, 03-04...is this true? Or can I mix and match harnesses with PCMs with trannies? I guess I can get electrically clever but would rather not...

I will plan on piecing it together as I go...slowly...Just doing initial research right now. I will probably have a 3k or 3500 stall down the road...maybe not when I do the initial swap due to funds.

I already know I need an Auto PCM (or stand alone computer for the tranny), a driveshaft, auto pedals, etc...just looking for the answers to the top questions.

As always TIA!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015
Rookie

Years ago I went from auto to manual (aod to t56) and went to D&D Performance. They hooked me up with everything I needed, they might even have it posted on their site of what you need. You might also need a new drive shaft depending on the trannie you buy, and trannie cross member. I can not be 100% positive but I believe you are correct about the radiator and using a trans cooler (make things cheaper also thats always a plus) you should be able to use a trans cooler and manual trannie radiator. I have read that PCMs seem to be different from those years, and don't always play well together, but not completely sure.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

1) Yes. I suppose you could mount a stand-alone cooler somewhere which would be air cooled, but go grab the upper radiator hose when the engine is warm, then compare that to the lower hose.... That's how much the radiator cools, and being that heat is enemy # 1 for an automatic transmission I would rather get the correct radiator and do that.

2) see above

3) wmburns

As far as your pcm, thought you could just have it reflashed at the dealer to run an auto? That would be much easier and less expensive than a new pcm + PATS bs....

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I do realize the OEM trans cooler setup is ideal. Realistically, a new radiator is not much money...just wanted thoughts is all.

I'll await WMburns on the wiring. I'll probably get the tranny, harness, and maybe PCM from the same car, but again, I would like to piece it all together over time which is why I'm wondering about compatibility.

Good call on the re-flash...I did read that on some searches I found...depends on the cost of the reflash and the cost of a PCM...could find one used...(if I get an auto PCM, it will need to be PATS disabled via a tune which is no-cost for me via Bama).

Thanks for the input.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

All I know is if I put a 4R70W in my car, between a Jmod valvebody and reprogrammed line pressures and shift points the fugger would be so violent that my wife would want me to swap the 3650 back in lol.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015
PONY Member

My T-bird had a 4R70W (5 speed only offered on SC's). It did not have a trans cooler out the box. I put a B&M trans cooler and stall (I think I had a 3000RPM, cant recall). I had it rebuilt using Level 10 performance kit along with valve body. I had a custom aluminum driveshaft built and balanced at a local shop and installed a set of 3:73's and trac lok in the 8.8.

The stock size tires on birds in 95 where 215 on a 15"wheel.
I wound up with 245's on a 17" wheel

That trans was ******* bullet proof. I raced that car a lot. I used to dump it hard often, I could hold any gear at any RPM. I remember I would still chirp the tires going into O.D.

If you are getting into hard core building/racing. there is a point where an automatic is better (just prepare to spend a lot).
that Level 10 4R70W was a great trans.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015
PONY Member

If u can get a auto pcm just disable the pats and the computer parts done. Pull a trans harness. Use a aftermarket cooler with built in fan and it will be 10x bettre then using the radiator so just keep your old one. The auto swap for your car is easy. If u have a trans built get a trans brake put in. Sell your manual to help fund your swap or get some cash back. A good stall and a trans brake and you will not be disapointed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Great info, thanks! I will be exploring this for sure and start acquiring parts. I won't go all out at first...probably do the j-mod first and start upgrading from there.

As far as driveshafts, it looks like I can buy any aluminum shaft made the manuals and put the auto yoke on it and be done.

This is much easier than I was expecting. Thanks again!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015
PONY Member

ya on a gt it really is easy. u can do it all for under 1,000 if u got all used parts so its easy and cheap. its pretty much just the cost of trans and torque converter plus a few used parts and your done
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
I'm highly considering swapping an Auto into my car...mainly for drag racing purposes but also for the added benefits of giving my wife the ability to drive it and make it a bit easier on commuting, DD, etc..(I don't plan on getting a separate DD for a little while and even if I had one I would probably drive my Mustang more than it anyway because I love driving it). The MAIN reason is drag racing...seems counterintuitive to do this to a DD but no need to comment, I take it to the track as often as I can...the long term goal of the car is drag-race oriented.

1) Do I need a radiator made for an Auto car for the trans cooler lines? Unsure if the radiators in the manual cars are the same but they do not use the cooler lines...I will probably make my own cooler lines...
2) If the answer is yes to Q1, would it be easier to run an aftermarket trans cooler? I would be inclined to replace my radiator anyway but I'm a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" type of guy so if my current one can work then great!
3) I've read there are slight differences in the tranny wiring harnesses from 99-00, 01-02, 03-04...is this true? Or can I mix and match harnesses with PCMs with trannies? I guess I can get electrically clever but would rather not...

I will plan on piecing it together as I go...slowly...Just doing initial research right now. I will probably have a 3k or 3500 stall down the road...maybe not when I do the initial swap due to funds.

I already know I need an Auto PCM (or stand alone computer for the tranny), a driveshaft, auto pedals, etc...just looking for the answers to the top questions.

As always TIA!

My 2004 mustang gt is an auto. I would like to do an auto to manual swap. If you would like to sell any of your parts I am very interested! Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
PONY Member
4.6L Member

As far as the getting an auto radiator thing goes I would get the auto radiator and be done with it. Might be able to get that out of the car you are pulling the trans from even. If not maybe a junk yard or just buy a new one they aren't bad. As an option though f150's and most of fords trucks have trans coolers maybe you could find one cheap there. The powerstrokes have larger ones that a lot of the f150 guys swap out with.

2000 GT 5 speed
SMR #2415
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I will most likely go the Auto Radiator route...mine (assuming it's never been replaced) does have 166k on it lol...might as well replace it.

I don't think I'll need an extra cooler for awhile...good to know about the powerstroke coolers though^^

I will be pricing some stuff out here in the near future...I did a small search on used 4r70s...most run about $600-$1000...looks like I'll at least need to wait until Bonus time next year to get the tranny. The wiring harness, radiator, and new aluminum driveshaft will be done as money comes in.

I'm still not fully committed to this but I'm about 90% sure I'll be doing this. I'll keep the thread updated if anything changes.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang0804 View Post
My 2004 mustang gt is an auto. I would like to do an auto to manual swap. If you would like to sell any of your parts I am very interested! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post

As always TIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang0804 View Post

Why dont you guys just pretty much exchange parts?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_Joe View Post
Why dont you guys just pretty much exchange parts?
Gotta be careful about exchanging your part with people, last person I exchanged my parts with got pregnant
JonR2006 likes this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

PONY Member

u can use the radiator for the cooler and add a aftermarket cooler to cool even more

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page