2001 mustang gas leak at tank, Help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

2001 mustang gas leak at tank, Help!

2001 Mustang, Rubber seal is loose and looks to be shot. Do I need to drop the tank to replace? Or does it just slip out if I pull it. Does the tank need to be empty? Any suggestions greatly appreciated! pxc777

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Fuel Tank

Are you talking about the rubber boot around the filler neck, or the fuel pump location on top of the tank - or just the junction where the line comes out of the pump?

Either way, do NOTHING without first disconnecting the battery so that you won't get a spark. If whatever is leaking doesn't require dropping the tank, its possible to do the repair without siphoning out all the fuel, but EXTREME care should be taken when working around the fuel system in general.

Assuming its a leak from the line exiting the fuel pump, its hard to see properly, so make sure you spend some time identifying the source before you start tearing into the job.

I know this sounds simplistic, but check to make sure there really IS a leak, and not simply some overflow from a spill around the fill neck or from over-filling the gas tank.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Thanks for the help. Leak is coming from where the filling line goes into the tank itself. There is a black rubber seal that appears to need replacing. Any idea on how to replace?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007
5.0L Member

gas tank seal

I just replaced the gasket in a 1990 fox body, it was pretty strait forward but you do have to lower the tank,trust me, empty the tank it is heavy enough with out gas. I took the bolts out from the top of the fill tube as well as the 2 straps from the tank, that made it easy to slide it all back together. The surprisingly easy part is putting the new gasket in the tank
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvs90convert View Post
I just replaced the gasket in a 1990 fox body, it was pretty strait forward but you do have to lower the tank,trust me, empty the tank it is heavy enough with out gas. I took the bolts out from the top of the fill tube as well as the 2 straps from the tank, that made it easy to slide it all back together. The surprisingly easy part is putting the new gasket in the tank
+1, very easy! Sometimes it takes some force to pull the fillerneck out, and that usually rips the gasket anyways. I think I picked the gasket up from my local dealership for about $25.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBoss View Post
+1, very easy! Sometimes it takes some force to pull the fillerneck out, and that usually rips the gasket anyways. I think I picked the gasket up from my local dealership for about $25.

Hi all,

I have a 1998 GT and I am just about to tackle replacing the gasket between the filler neck and the fuel tank myself. I have verified the leak is around the gasket where the filler pipe enters the tank, and the seal is visibly ripped (and deteriorated) at that location. A few questions:
  • Is it possible to replace the seal without unbolting the tank (and just unbolting the filler neck assembly)? I'd really rather not drop the tank if I don't have to do so.
  • Does the filler neck assembly just pull out of the tank? How much force are we talkin' about?
  • Does the new seal just slip around the filler neck and back into the tank?

I included a pic of the part I'm replacing below (pic is from Latemodel Restoration Supply...I don't think they'll mind too much).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRS-9072A.jpg
Views:	4650
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	34710  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007

bump...anyone have any advice?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008
Rookie
5.0L Member

Is it possible to buy a new fuel filler neck? I heard that they crack a lot, and new CA smog laws say that if any pressure is lost when applied at the cap, and tested at the intake, then you fail smog. I assume that they only place I could be leaking pressure is at the tank since I replaced all of the other vacuum lines. So where could you find one? Or is it much more likely to be a gasket?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
Is it possible to buy a new fuel filler neck? I heard that they crack a lot, and new CA smog laws say that if any pressure is lost when applied at the cap, and tested at the intake, then you fail smog. I assume that they only place I could be leaking pressure is at the tank since I replaced all of the other vacuum lines. So where could you find one? Or is it much more likely to be a gasket?
I see you have a 5.0, so that's a question for that forum (particularly since the parts might be a little different from the 4.6)...

These are the sort of parts you would find at a dealer or a junk yard, though Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto might have them.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
4.6L Member

Do not get the grommet at a junkyard

The grommet is most likely worn out as well and even at 25 dollars, it's worth buying new if you are going to do the job.
4.6L Member

Replacing the fuel tank gasket without dropping the tank

The fuel tank gasket, properly named Fuel Filler Tube Grommet can be replaced WITHOUT dropping the tank, just follow the instructions below.

Although you are not dropping the tank, it may be wise to wait to do this job until you have 1/4 or less of fuel in the tank. Also, before you start, you may want to wash the area around to prevent dirt from getting in the tank and to make things less messy. Just donít spray directly into the damaged grommet or water might get in the tank.

Parts you need
- Grommet
Parts you may consider getting while you are doing this
- Fuel hose for the overflow
- Replacement hose clamps
- Fuel Filter (while you have the car jacked up, it may be a good idea to replace the filter.

- Jack up the rear right end of the vehicle. Remember to use a jack stand for safety.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the screw that secures the filler tube bracket (purpose of this bracket unknown but observe the position, you could reinstall it backwards)
- Loosen the hose clamps and remove the overflow return hose. If it stains your hands, replace it, as it has worn out.
- (Optional) If the gas fumes make you dizzy, tape the open holes of the tank with tape to keep the fumes in).
- Remove the trunk latch plastic cover and the rear upholstery mold from the trunk. If necessary, remove the farthest plastic pushpin from the front upholstery mold so that you can move the right side upholstery mold out of the way.
- Remove the gas cap (observe that the gas cap cable attaches to the bottom screw. Installing it in any two of the top will make the gas cap be in the way everytime you refuel).
- Remove the 3 screws that hold the filler tube dust boot (8mm), the 3 screws that hold the filler tube to the plastic fuel filler housing (10mm), and the 4 screws that hold the plastic fuel filler housing to the fender.
- Work the filler tube out of the tank by pulling and turning. You will need to move the filler tube housing out of the way in order to bring up the filler tube. Two people, one pulling close to the tank and one guiding the tube from inside the trunk make the job a snap. The tube comes out through the trunk.
- (Optional) If your trunk shows excessive dirt on the filler-tube area, it may be due to the looseness of the dust boot at the choke part of the filler tube. You may want to install a hose clamp on the underside of the boot. Do no tighten it until you finish the installation.
- Remove the damaged grommet from the tank and reinstall the new one. Apply a little oil to the grommet before you reinsert the filler tube.
- Remember to insert the bracket in the filler tube observing position, before you proceed to reinsert the filler tube in the tank.
- Work the tube into the tank.
- Reinstall all screws but do not tighten any, including the hose clamps to the overflow hose until you have finished installing all of them.
The rest of the installation is the reverse of removal.

Grommet replacement

Robert (richlander). Just wanted to thank you for posting the excellent and easy-to-understand instructions on replacing the fuel filler tube grommet. Made the job a snap on my '98 GT. You should be writing for Chilton or Haynes!

Revived for 1998 California Mustang ???

Hi. I'm reviving this old thread because it directly pertains to what I would like to do, except that in my case it is a 1998 Mustang.

I've located the 1998 Fuel Filler Tube Grommet online, but I am concerned whether it is the correct part due to some brief but unclear comments I read about California emissions (this car was purchased in CA, we're the original owners, and all part are still OEM). Will the same grommet that I have located online (http://k-mansparts.com/items/mustang...2ac-detail.htm) work in an original California vehicle?

I wouldn't have asked, but the hole in the grommet that the filler tube fits through looks quite a bit smaller in the online item above than the current one on the car. However, I'm judging this by just looking at the current one without having yet disassembled anything. If the hole is relatively rigid, it definitely looks too small, but if it more elastic and will stretch/seal as the tube is inserted then I will believe this is the correct part. Again, the currently installed grommet is definitely the original.

So basically, is there a different part for California vehicles? I also read something about there being 2 seals in CA vehicles, but wasn't sure the 2nd seal was actually fitted to the filler tube as well (and hidden from sight further internal to the tank) or if it was somewhere else completely unrelated to the filler tube and the job at hand as I what I was reading seemed more broad in scope (referring to the overall tank).

In the daylight tomorrow I'll get out my calipers and check the diameter of the filler tube at the grommet, if that helps.

Thanks everyone.
Apprentice

Yes that will fit. I found that if you use a bit of petroleum jelly around on the rubber and filler tube neck it makes sliding it back in the tank 10x easier.

Sport Compacts are those too weak for Torque!

broken parts in gas tank

So I did this job fairly smoothly, but ran into a couple issues. First, I think at the end of the filler pipe (end part of the pipe that is in the gas tank) there were 4 prongs. I'm 99% positive I heard one or two break off as I was pulling the pipe out and they fell in the gas tank. Will that be a problem? Do I need to do anything to get them out? Then when putting the pipe back in two other prongs broke off but outside of the tank. Are these important? I figured since the pipe is in the tank, they aren't essential. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in