2002 Mustang GT Convertible... questions about suspension - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

2002 Mustang GT Convertible... questions about suspension

hey
i want to lower my car for better handling and a nicer look as well. i am lookin at the eibach or steedas. but i was lookin at some of the threads and it seems that the eibachs are no good, what about the steeda sport springs, how are they? ride and drop, it says 1 1/4 drop. i also would lik to buy cc plates but i will wait cus i dnt hav to much $ rite now. i would lik to drop my 60 foot time and hav a better launch at the track, cus everytime i go i have problems with traction... what should be done aftr lowerin and cc plates too?? i know better tires help cus i had some drs bfor... thanks

Angel.
2002 Yellow GT, 5 Speed, Convt.
K&N Intake and Flowmasters
BBK O/R X Pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

The Steedas are made by Eibach for them so they're good quality. But if you want a better launch at the track, lowering springs aren't what you need. You can get either the Eibach or the Steeda drag springs. They offer a good ride with the proper strength for the track. They don't drop the car much, so you have to make a decision. What else you can get is some adjustable shocks/struts so you can have both a good ride, handling, and launch capabilities.
But lowering springs aren't condusive to a good launch at the track. The fronts are too stiff and won't let the front extend, and the rear springs are too stiff and will cause the rear to raise after the shock and lift the tires, making wheel spin.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

decisions, decisions... but thanks for the info

Angel.
2002 Yellow GT, 5 Speed, Convt.
K&N Intake and Flowmasters
BBK O/R X Pipe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
If you're more concerned with 60' times than the appearance, go for a set of lower control arms for the rear end. Maxmimum Motorsports makes a good set that are much stronger than the OE parts and have shown to improve 60' times over and over again. If you really want to drop the car and get better overall handling on and off the track, then I'd recommend Bullitt springs from FRPP.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007
4.6L Member

I have FRPP B springs which aren't bad. They are a progressive rate spring so they are going to be better than a lot of your lowering springs out there. They lower the car about 1 1/4". If you match these with a good shock and strut combo and some drag radials you should be able to drop your 60s. I have strange 10 way adjustables. A good tire and practice are the main keys.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

As far as the springs go I have Eibach Pros on my 97 Gt and it lowered it 1.5 inches and made it ride pretty rough. I handles awsome around the turns though, I guess I should have replaced all the shocks when I did it. You really can't go wrong with the FRPP Bullitt handling kit for the price. I think the springs are pretty close to the B springs. None of these springs are ideal for drag racing though, you need springs which promote weight transfer, not stiffness.

New Toy - Custom 92 GT soon to be a turbo beast
DHG 01 Bullitt - JLT, Mac o/r H, MGW, Bama tune, Focus pump, 3.73s, DRs best 1/4 13.50 @ 101 best 1/8 8.53 @ 82
Red/White 88 GT vert (SOLD)
Autumn Orange 97 GT (SOLD)
Black 89 LX best 8.46 1/8 mile (SOLD)
2011 F-150 Supercrew Ecoboost
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill View Post
As far as the springs go I have Eibach Pros on my 97 Gt and it lowered it 1.5 inches and made it ride pretty rough. I handles awsome around the turns though, I guess I should have replaced all the shocks when I did it. You really can't go wrong with the FRPP Bullitt handling kit for the price. I think the springs are pretty close to the B springs. None of these springs are ideal for drag racing though, you need springs which promote weight transfer, not stiffness.
That is why B springs are a lot better than other springs; not including drag launch springs. They are progressive, so they dont promote stiffness as much as a specific rate spring. By the sound of the guy that was posting, it didn't exactly sound like he wanted a full out drag launch spring. He'd be better off with something that will give him better ride quality and getting a better tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page