ball joints? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

ball joints?

I replaced my control arms and the new ball joints came with nylon lock nuts. How tight do these need to be? I dont think they should be so tight to make the ball joint bulge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxroth View Post
I replaced my control arms and the new ball joints came with nylon lock nuts. How tight do these need to be? I dont think they should be so tight to make the ball joint bulge
Check the service manual, but if it's a taper stud, probably between 80-100 ft lbs.

The 05-09 pinch bolt is 76 ft lb. IIRC.

I don't see how the ball joint could bulge, but if you mean the dust boot, then yes it should be tight up against the spindle.

If the joint keeps spinning while you tighten it, use a floor jack or pry bar to push the arm into the spindle to force the balljoint to be held by the taper.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

The thing is i have it all buttoned back up Just waiting to put it down until i decide how tight the nut needs to be( doing other stuff also) It is tapered but i didn't want to destroy the cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page