1997 Mustang GT with Vortech supercharger oiling question - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to Nicks79 Send a message via Yahoo to Nicks79 Send a message via Skype™ to Nicks79
1997 Mustang GT with Vortech supercharger oiling question

Okay, so I dont want to tap my pan if this thing (that V2SQ I got) ends up being a hunk-o-crap. I was trying to devise a secondary oiling system so it could get oil circulating through it, but be external of my engine.

What i have come up with is using an automotive fluid pump, an oil catch can, an oil cooler, and various fittings, and lines. The kit would be comprised of basic 5/8ths hose, and the pump is an in-line style that pumps oil at 8-12psi... About what an engine with a stock oil pump would run. The catch can would be used as an oil pan, with the return coming in the top port and the intake coming from the bottom. Everything would be run through the oil cooler mounted on the radiator to bring the oil to engine temperature in cold days, and keep it at normal operating temperature the rest of the time. Filtering it would be taken care of a screw-off (that's me) type oil filter. The entire system should be about 2 quarts, and having it run just the SC should be more then adequate.

So does this sound like it will work? Any thoughts?

1997 Mustang GT- DOHC, Termec T-45, LT Headers, Bassani O/R X, Tri-ax, 3.73s, JLT CAI, BAMA tune

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Sounds like a good idea. Question is where are you going to have room to mount all this extra equipment? But it should work.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Work

It should work, and it will probably end up being better for the motor and SC than Vortech's solution.

Its a LOT of trouble to go through for a doubtful blower, though.

Have you thought of having the SC checked out before going forward with the plan? I'd contact VorTech and see what they would charge to look it over (I know they offer a rebuild service, too).

It might be worth paying a few hundred bucks just for the peace of mind (and to avoid spending a week inventing a unique oiling system that will work and not vibrate off the car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks79 View Post
Okay, so I dont want to tap my pan if this thing (that V2SQ I got) ends up being a hunk-o-crap. I was trying to devise a secondary oiling system so it could get oil circulating through it, but be external of my engine.

What i have come up with is using an automotive fluid pump, an oil catch can, an oil cooler, and various fittings, and lines. The kit would be comprised of basic 5/8ths hose, and the pump is an in-line style that pumps oil at 8-12psi... About what an engine with a stock oil pump would run. The catch can would be used as an oil pan, with the return coming in the top port and the intake coming from the bottom. Everything would be run through the oil cooler mounted on the radiator to bring the oil to engine temperature in cold days, and keep it at normal operating temperature the rest of the time. Filtering it would be taken care of a screw-off (that's me) type oil filter. The entire system should be about 2 quarts, and having it run just the SC should be more then adequate.

So does this sound like it will work? Any thoughts?

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to Nicks79 Send a message via Yahoo to Nicks79 Send a message via Skype™ to Nicks79
There is no shaft play on the SC, which is good... Ill spooler her on up when I get a chance. It was supposedly rebuilt

1997 Mustang GT- DOHC, Termec T-45, LT Headers, Bassani O/R X, Tri-ax, 3.73s, JLT CAI, BAMA tune

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Yeah that sounds like a great plan for oiling the blower. However, I think you're going to want about 20psi of pressure. I'm not sure about NPI GT's, but oil cooling on the PI cars is done with a cooler located in the oil filter mounting location, so you may have to buy a separate cooler from Summit or another vendor.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

It is the same, and Vortech told me 8-10psi should be good... I guess we will see!

Thanks for all the input guys!

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Well if Vortech says 10psi is plenty then they should know.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

They said that it gets no more pressure from that from the oil sensor location under normal conditions anyway, and all it does is "mist" the gears with oil anyway. That is though 1/8th inch hose, I will be using 5/8ths hose... So more flow perhaps less pressure? I dono. It should be okay... Looks good on paper anyway.

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to markwondi
That is the setup a lot of turbo guys use. One word of advice, save yourself the money and get a oil fluid pump and catch can off a diesel truck (powerstroke or duramax). They will run you ~$30.

We used this setup on a twin turbo 350 I helped build.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Thats awesome! Thats exactly what I am using (99 P.S.)

Ill have to take pics when everything comes together... I wasn't so sure this was doable, but after everyone support here it sounds like it might just work!

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
Honestly, whats the point of goint through all that trouble??? If you have the pull the blower off for any reason, the tap can be plugged with a small bolt and thread sealent.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBoss View Post
Honestly, whats the point of goint through all that trouble??? If you have the pull the blower off for any reason, the tap can be plugged with a small bolt and thread sealent.
Three words that people put into one

O-Ridge-onality

other then the fact that other then the compressor, mounting bracket, and power pipe I didn't have anything else of the SC when it came in. makes it hard to tap things when you dont have parts to do so!

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Three words that people put into one

O-Ridge-onality

other then the fact that other then the compressor, mounting bracket, and power pipe I didn't have anything else of the SC when it came in. makes it hard to tap things when you dont have parts to do so!
I'd hope you have an oil pan already, otherwise you have problems :hihi:
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwondi View Post
I'd hope you have an oil pan already, otherwise you have problems :hihi:
uh what?
Oil pans come with the engine man, you know that! So does the 6 Boston Lagers I've had too.

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
uh what?
Oil pans come with the engine man, you know that! So does the 6 Boston Lagers I've had too.
Quote:
makes it hard to tap things when you dont have parts to do so!
those lagers are working OT on you today...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page