Best Chip to Buy/MAF questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Best Chip to Buy

Hey my dad also wants a racing chip. He wants to know what the best chip for the buck is. Hes mainly looking at which chip will give him the most power with the least sacrafice........keep in mind the chip will be added with new gears, exhaust, CAI, pulleys etc....any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002
4.6L Member

There are many out there. Just make sure that before he buys the chip, he has the rest of his mods done. The reason being that he will want them to custom burn it to his application. A dyno burn is the best way to go, but I understand not everyone has the resources for that. I have a Superchip, and I thought it helped when I first installed it. They told me I would get about 20 to 24 HP gain from it. I dont think I did. Maybe I got 12-15 HP at the most. And even that is not really that noticable without having 1/4 or 60ft times to compare. The gears will be the best mod he can get, and the rest will all add up to some good stuff. Like I said, get everything else put on and then have the chip burned.

Jeff

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002
4.6L Member

:smoke: Gtrider, twokings is right put everything on first and then have the chip burned, there are alot of them out there, so chooseing will be tough, i personally had my chip custom burned at the shop that tuned my car and they use the Auto Logic program, which i know most shops are using now, so if you have one burned, in my opinion make sure they are using the Auto Logic program. If you have one burned the shop will have there own blank chips there, and thats what they start burning on, using that program on a computer. Thanks Mark.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002

Autologic or Diablo Sport are good chips, but they are only really as good as the tuners. What is the extent of modifications your dad is after? What year is it, and is it a auto or manual transmission?

Murdock
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Even with a great tuner you may not see any gains it all depends on the stock tune. I've attempted to have my car tuned three times now and all times could not match the stock tune. This was after 4-6 hours on the dyno each time. However all EEC's are not the same.

Bill

2000 GT- NA, 11.97 @ 113.20 (SOLD)
2004 Mach 1 - Twin Turbo...in progress
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

mud rock, my dad wants gears, pulleys, exhaust, CAI, throtle body spacer, and a chip. he has a 00 gt that is manual.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003

I would suggest a MAF meter with the CAI. My Pro-M did wonders for my GT. What type of CAI was he looking at? Other than the meter all he would have to get before the chip would be the gear, unless he will be taking it to a dyno, then all the mods should be done before.

Murdock
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

mud rock thanks for the help so far, but i still have a few questions....what is a MAF meter, and the pro-m??? As of now I dont know what type of CAI I want, im still looking for the best one to buy for the money.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003
4.6L Member

MAF is the mass air flow meter. It measures the mass of the air by way of a hot wire which is supposed to be kept at a constant temperature by differing voltage amounts. Less air means less voltage, more means...well you get the picture. There is also a second wire that tells the temperature of the incoming air. The MAF works with your engines computer to measure input from numerous other sensors to determine your fuel injectors spray duration and timing advance. A bigger MAF means more air for the engine, and when combined with other parts, such as a CAI and throttle body, can mean nice increases in HP. When done wrong it can mean loss of low end power and drivability issues. You dont always need another throttle body with a new MAF setup, but just make sure it is calibrated to the size injectors you are running. I hope this helps a little.

Jeff

Jeff is right. I personally run a K&N FIPK (www.knfilters.com) but I believe the most popular is a MAC (www.macperformance.com), however if your not opposed to moving the Mass Air Flow sensor I would go with a Power Pipe from Anderson Ford (www.andersonfordmotorsport.com). If you do go with a new MAF meter stay with Pro-M (www.pro-flow.com) they provide you with a flow sheet, you will give this sheet to the person tuning your chip, it will help them out greatly. Also be sure to tell the people at Pro-M if there is any turn or bend in front of the meter caused by a CAI and the type of air filter used (i.e. cone or flat element).

Murdock

DiabloSport performance chip is highly recommed. Get one at
www.steeda.com (269.95 is worth it in my opnion)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

thanks a lot guys that helps a lot
4.6L Member

for mac CAI they have the best prices i have seen and they have free shipping http://www.mustangwarehouse.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page