Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2000 Mustang GT... What headers and exhaust would be best for me?

25K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Silverstang2004 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 GT 4.6L Automatic with factory everything and I want to put Headers and a Exhaust system. I want more torque and a deep bass sound thats not over barring inside but is outside:D.
Thanks

#2 ·
Honestly man if your all stock right now, there are cheaper ways to get better low end torque. Headers are not an easy install. Very pricey to have done.

If you just want better sound you can have your mufflers changed out for some magnaflows or some some flowmasters. I have flowmaster 40's and I like the deep sound that they give.

Your not likely gonna feel much performance change from just exhaust changes alone. You could go with some new gears in the differential and you will get alot more low end torque for the money. Thats just my .02 cents worth.

Aftermarket headers and mid pipes get really loud even on the inside.

#3 ·
Hiya and welcome. Glad you joined us.
At this point, headers wouldn't give more torque, only sound. If you're planning more mods in the future, then they'd be good to get as long as you don't expect too much gain at this point. Any of the aftermarket muffler/exhaust systems give better performance and sound, it depends on your personal preference. An X pipe typically gives more torque but can get raspy in sound. An H has more of a musclecar sound. Some mufflers have a drone, some don't and some people don't want a drone while other's don't let it bother them. We have plenty of sound clips here and even have a sound clip thread, do some digging and you can find it in the lounge area.

#4 ·
If you don't want the exhaust overpowering in the car, then get midpipes with catalytic converters. They muffle the sound quite well, and they don't hurt performance too much.

Regardless of what catback you choose (well, almost any), if you keep cats on your car you won't have an overly-loud Mustang.

Even when I had just the SLP Loudmouths on my car, it was still relatively quiet. When I got the O/R X pipe, things got LOUD.

For a deep tone, you want a muffler. Resonators don't isolate a specific tone. Your pipes simply blare. I personally love the sound, but to each his own. You might like Flowmaster 40's or one of the other Flowmaster series mufflers. Borla gives a good low rumble as well.

Or, if you want a modular kit (quickly changeable), get the SLP Powerflo kit. You can swap the mufflers out for the shotgun resonators quickly (under 10 minutes) if you want to make a little more noise.

You really don't get much of a gain from exhaust systems- well, not exactly the best bang for the buck. They do increase performance, but at the stock level they don't add much. The real gains come in play when you better the air flow INTO the engine.

Gears will be your biggest bang for the buck. 4.10s will send you flying- especially in your automatic.

If you get gears, you will need to retune to accommodate for the speed/rpm differential. That's a good excuse to buy a tuner too. Retune after every upgrade.

A better air filter and intake tubes will make your throttle response snappier. They don't add much overall HP, but they do aid in getting air to the engine fast.

G
#5 ·
i would say start with an SLP cat back or 2 chamber flows... both with 3" tips. then an o/r h pip.

then get yourself some aluminum pulleys.

should pick up about 20 hp 20 tq and your low end will be great because of those pulleys

#7 ·
That's a great description! I got magnaflows with a BBK catted X on mine and when I got it up to 6200 rpm on the dyno; it was the meanest sounding thing I ever heard

#8 ·
If you want the Best we can get you anything from Kooks. Offering 10% off the complete 96-04 Long Tube Header System for the GT and Cobra.

This is only for a limited time though so take advantage.

Just E-mail me if you want to order so that I can make sure you get the 10% off for being AllFordMustangs.com Members

Stephen@VelocityTurboSystems.com

#9 ·
well i just did an o/r h along with the magnaflows that were already on my car. i like the way it sounds even with the deep tone, loud when you make/want it, and its far from over bearing on the inside. if i can find my video camera i'll try and get some clips. I have a friend with flowmaster dumps and they sound awful, but i think its because of the way his car was pounded in its younger days. the constant rumble underneath really gets annoying also.

#10 ·
headers on these engines are a waste time and cash... any header maker that tells the truth will tell you there header added 1 to 2 hp diffrence, in other words, dont waste you cash add some good mufflers and save some money!!! Mac and Flowmaster is the best sound to me :bigthumbsup

#12 ·
depending on your plans headers can be very beneficial. if your running stage 2 cams long tubes will give you another 10 rwhp or so. The only ones I would consider to be a waste would be the shorties.

do long tubes or nothing.............

#13 ·
yea like johnr2001 siad if you do it do longtubes if you do it your self its a pain in the a@@ trust me I did mine:bigthumbsup

#15 ·
Im in the same boat, 01 bullitt stock headers and cat back with o/r x. Its really loud and it gets on my nerves when driving for sometime! I would like to get a more deep sound instead of the raspy popping sound. I was thinking of a h pipe with flowmasers 40 or 44 series. But was wondering to get the catted or none catted h? Which one is deeper? Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.