Erratic missing (need help) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Erratic missing (need help)

Hey everyone.I got a new Mustang today,an 01 GT,it has a few goodies such as new trans with 3k stall 4.10 gears,and flowmaster exhaust along with EGR delete,but the car is running very poorly (erratic miss)the only code is for the EGR.any ideas??Plugs are all clean and gaped correctly and I havent found any obvious vacuum leaks,but it was dark when I was working on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68falcon View Post
Hey everyone.I got a new Mustang today,an 01 GT,it has a few goodies such as new trans with 3k stall 4.10 gears,and flowmaster exhaust along with EGR delete,but the car is running very poorly (erratic miss)the only code is for the EGR.any ideas??Plugs are all clean and gaped correctly and I havent found any obvious vacuum leaks,but it was dark when I was working on it.
Fuel pressure?

Best regards,
Scott
2011 GT Premium,6-Speed Manual, Black on Black, "Bama Tunes For Life", Steeda CAI, Roush Axle Backs, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, AR Torq Thrust Chrome 18x9;18x10, Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 255/45/18; 285/40/18
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

good Fuel Pressure,likes to die when pulling up to stop signs and such,has random idle surge,then other times runs fine.Sprayed TB and all vacuum lines with carb cleaner to eliminate vacuum leaks found nothing changed.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Anytime you buy a hotrodded car you roll the dice as to why op is getting rid of it. Ask him what all he has tried to fix this problem. Could be mechanical problems or ecu or ???? Just start with a fuel pressure gage running and not running, then a compression test, coil test, dirty injectors..fixed a random missfire yesterday by replacing sparkplugs, owner had spent hundreds shotgunning it without any good results

OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER BUT YOUNG ENOUGH TO STILL ENJOY IT
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Anytime you buy a hotrodded car you roll the dice as to why op is getting rid of it. Ask him what all he has tried to fix this problem. Could be mechanical problems or ecu or ???? Just start with a fuel pressure gage running and not running, then a compression test, coil test, dirty injectors..fixed a random missfire yesterday by replacing sparkplugs, owner had spent hundreds shotgunning it without any good results
it was a female who owned it and she had no idea why it was running "weird" and had zero money to fix it,so i traded her running car and paid off the $1500 note she owed.I cleaned the MAF which had oil all over it and that helped but didn't totally fix it,runs great under normal conditions but wont idle and will sputter under a quick acceleration (3/4 throttle).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015
Rookie

Garage
..... is it tuned.... You need to modify the tune on the ECU after you remove the EGR. And, unless you have a heavily modified engine, and tune for no EGR, it may/probably will cost you power--this is a Camaro related EGR article, but it's true for our engines as well--the EGR system is an oddity in that it's an emissions related device that actually increases power...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

[QUOTE=nstaley;8031514]..... is it tuned.... You need to modify the tune on the ECU after you remove the EGR. And, unless you have a heavily modified engine, and tune for no EGR, it may/probably will cost you power--this is a Camaro related EGR article, but it's true for our engines as well--the EGR system is an oddity in that it's an emissions related device that actually increases power...[/

the egr has been removed before these problems occurred and ran great.pretty quick really for what it is
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015
Rookie

Garage
[quote=blue68falcon;8031690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaley View Post
..... is it tuned.... You need to modify the tune on the ECU after you remove the EGR. And, unless you have a heavily modified engine, and tune for no EGR, it may/probably will cost you power--this is a Camaro related EGR article, but it's true for our engines as well--the EGR system is an oddity in that it's an emissions related device that actually increases power...[/

the egr has been removed before these problems occurred and ran great.pretty quick really for what it is
Well you have to keep in mind that when something is removed that has info stored on the ECM/ECU, it will remain in there until it is reset. So it could have had some stored files of the EGR and when it finally reset it started to have problems. Doesn't matter that you didn't have it tuned and it ran fine, EGR deletes most people say it's a must have to get a tune so the ECM reads it as deleted.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

[quote=nstaley;8031810]
Quote:
Well you have to keep in mind that when something is removed that has info stored on the ECM/ECU, it will remain in there until it is reset. So it could have had some stored files of the EGR and when it finally reset it started to have problems. Doesn't matter that you didn't have it tuned and it ran fine, EGR deletes most people say it's a must have to get a tune so the ECM reads it as deleted.
the codes have been cleared a few times if that what ure talking about
Rookie

Garage
[quote=blue68falcon;8031914]
Quote:

the codes have been cleared a few times if that what ure talking about
Resetting or rebooting the ECU would be by removing power to it or removing a battery cable. Then waiting about 15 to 30 minutes. And then reconnecting power. That is like rebooting a personal computer. You power it off, then re-start it.

And you need to wait for awhile after disconnecting power because these have "capacitors" which continue to supply power to the ECU after power is removed. It takes a bit of time for those capacitors to drain.

Removing power from the ECU on many vehicles makes it lose its memory. I don't know if new vehicle ECU's have "non-volatile" memory and would not lose their memory when power is removed?

Then clearing the codes would be with the unit powered up. You are telling the unit to delete the codes from memory.

Is the check engine light coming right back on when you start the car?
Or does it wait awhile, then come back on?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

[quote=nstaley;8035306]
Quote:
Resetting or rebooting the ECU would be by removing power to it or removing a battery cable. Then waiting about 15 to 30 minutes. And then reconnecting power. That is like rebooting a personal computer. You power it off, then re-start it.

And you need to wait for awhile after disconnecting power because these have "capacitors" which continue to supply power to the ECU after power is removed. It takes a bit of time for those capacitors to drain.

Removing power from the ECU on many vehicles makes it lose its memory. I don't know if new vehicle ECU's have "non-volatile" memory and would not lose their memory when power is removed?

Then clearing the codes would be with the unit powered up. You are telling the unit to delete the codes from memory.

Is the check engine light coming right back on when you start the car?
Or does it wait awhile, then come back on?
yes I know how to reset the computer,I do it everytime after fixing any problems the car has.now the car is missing terrible but is throwing no codes other than EGR (removed and blocked) so Im changing the fuel filter tommorrow just cause im sure it needs it anyways
Rookie

Garage
I'm still going back to what I said, it needs a tune. Or a MIL eliminator. But it doesn't work as well as a tune. I'm telling you right now, it's going to need a tune.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
I'm still going back to what I said, it needs a tune. Or a MIL eliminator. But it doesn't work as well as a tune. I'm telling you right now, it's going to need a tune.
maybe so,im not an expert by any means.I cant afford a tune though so chances are Ill be buying a for sale sign instead
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
maybe so,im not an expert by any means.I cant afford a tune though so chances are Ill be buying a for sale sign instead
Tunes you can buy for 150$ from someone... They aren't expensive in any way.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Tunes you can buy for 150$ from someone... They aren't expensive in any way.
that is expensive when u dont have it to spare

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page