Terrible Knock at Idle When Hot Goes Away With Increased RPMs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Terrible Knock at Idle When Hot Goes Away With Increased RPMs

After I drive my stang for a few minutes and get it nice and hot, it'll start knocking. Only at idle though, it sounds terrible. I increase the RPMs and it's gone, let the car idle again and it comes back. Anyone else have this issue? Rod knock? Oil pressure? Any ideas or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Spun (worn) big end rod bearing, is my guess.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015
Apprentice

Please get someone to look at it. I ignored mine and poof my engine turned into a large paper weight.

FRRP cams,FRRP intake manifold,FRRP 4.10 gears, FRRP CNC ported heads,FRRP CAI, FRRP throttle body, FRRP shifter,paperformance alternator, Steada under drive pulley. FRRP exhaust.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomashogan640 View Post
Please get someone to look at it. I ignored mine and poof my engine turned into a large paper weight.
I dunno man, it may have some legs. I drove a Dodge Dakota 4.7 for 11 months with two spun rod bearings. Course, when it finally let go, it went in a BIG way. Exit wounds in the oil pan, and the side of the engine block. connecting rod chunks went everywhere.

@05Stang614 (This really happened but please don't take my joke seriously. Get it looked at NOW.)

Let's just say someone I'm no longer with had been working to make me hate that truck and everything it stood for.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
PONY Member

what oil r u running? sounds like low or no oil psi after the oil warms up and thins out. put some 40 weight
oil in and see if it goes away
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Stang614 View Post
After I drive my stang for a few minutes and get it nice and hot, it'll start knocking. Only at idle though, it sounds terrible. I increase the RPMs and it's gone, let the car idle again and it comes back. Anyone else have this issue? Rod knock? Oil pressure? Any ideas or suggestions?
Sounds like main crank bearings are done High mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page