NPI Shortblock, TFS Heads - Timing Chain Replacement - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

NPI Shortblock, TFS Heads - Timing Chain Replacement

I recently bought TFS Heads with MHS Stage 2 Cams and plan to use them with my factory 1997 NPI shortblock with bolt ons.

I also want to replace timing chain during headswap. However, I wonder is there any difference between 96-98 to 99-04 timing chains or they are the same? Am I need to buy 96-98 timing chain or 99-04 one ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016
GT Member

Garage
I cant remember when they changed the chain guides, I know the older ones have a steel back with a plastic piece that clips on. Those are the ones you will want. I think it may be a difference between romeo and windsor. Order the guides for the year of the block. Also, there is no need to replace the chains, these chains arent known to stretch.

Side note, It may be too late but you might want to re-think your cam selection. TFS heads with the relocated intake valve need a cam that has the lobe reversed so it will work the valve correctly.

Here is the article explaining whats going on in there.
https://www.lmengines.com/trick-flow...er-head-issue/

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I don't want to recieve a catastrophic failure depending on timing chains. One of my friend here have a 97 with fully ported NPI heads, Comp 274's and all bolt ons recieve this timing chain problem. I want to take firm steps forward.

L&M, CMS and MHS has TFS specific cams. That's why I've decide to buy MHS TFS specific cams. I know even with TFS stage 1 or stage 2 cams are not designed for these heads. There was a thread in another forum about this problem about PI cams on TFS heads.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificgreengt View Post
I don't want to recieve a catastrophic failure depending on timing chains. One of my friend here have a 97 with fully ported NPI heads, Comp 274's and all bolt ons recieve this timing chain problem. I want to take firm steps forward.

L&M, CMS and MHS has TFS specific cams. That's why I've decide to buy MHS TFS specific cams. I know even with TFS stage 1 or stage 2 cams are not designed for these heads. There was a thread in another forum about this problem about PI cams on TFS heads.

I was making sure you knew about the cam situation, I know they all make tfs specific cams. You just said MHS stage 2's and I wanted to make sure you got MHS stage 2's for TFS heads.

What kind of timing chain failure did your friend have and what was the cause? There are a lot of high horsepower cars that are still running stock chains that have more than 100k miles on them. Just keep the guides and tensioner arms in good shape and make sure to use the iron chain tensioners as the plastic ones will fail.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
I was making sure you knew about the cam situation, I know they all make tfs specific cams. You just said MHS stage 2's and I wanted to make sure you got MHS stage 2's for TFS heads.

What kind of timing chain failure did your friend have and what was the cause? There are a lot of high horsepower cars that are still running stock chains that have more than 100k miles on them. Just keep the guides and tensioner arms in good shape and make sure to use the iron chain tensioners as the plastic ones will fail.
No offense taken and I don't want to imply anything to you of course. I have to admit that I've been watching your build with respect recently. (What is your rwhp predict?)

Actually I don't remember what kind of a failure he had however I really know that he strongly recommends changing timing chains to prevent failure he had.

I understand from your build that you use NPI block with PI heads and using 96-98 style timing kit. So I've found this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-0387sax

What do you think about the timing kit stated above ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificgreengt View Post
No offense taken and I don't want to imply anything to you of course. I have to admit that I've been watching your build with respect recently. (What is your rwhp predict?)

Actually I don't remember what kind of a failure he had however I really know that he strongly recommends changing timing chains to prevent failure he had.

I understand from your build that you use NPI block with PI heads and using 96-98 style timing kit. So I've found this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-0387sax

What do you think about the timing kit stated above ?
Honestly, I dont know what to expect. We might be seeing here soon as Im almost to the point of driving and tuning and Ive got a line on a decent dyno rate. Thanks for the compliments. I am using the factory 98 block with 02 heads and I have a timing kit purchased for the 98. That kit you linked looks perfect. If the picture is whats actually in the kit then it is everything I would look for in timing on these cars.

Steel backed guides, iron tensioners with the failsafe ratchet mechanism, and new chains. You shouldnt have any issues after all that. Also, cloyes makes good stuff. Ive got their adjustable cam gears and they are awesome.

1998 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page