Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Black stuff on my rims!!!
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2006
Venom810
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
OK i have a 99 stang with 17 inch cobra rims. i keep getting this black stuff on them and the back ones clean up fine but the front ones dont (cuz of the brakes?). i presume that it is oil but i could be wrong. what can i do to stop this from happening? is it something that is a maintenance problem or is it normal and i just have to live with it? the front ones dont clean up...would sand paper get it off or would it scratch my rims? thanks for any help!
It could very well be brake dust bro , whens the last time you had them changed ? and its common problem thats not too bad . But if you let it build up your rims very well may be ruined . Sand paper will most likely damage your rims , same thing happened to me on my eclispe with my 16's chrome. I used a very stubby white wall brush and white wall bleach that seemed to work (scrubbed em about 4 times). They were damaged a bit but I buffed em up with smothers chrome compound and that seem to make damage pretty unoticeable , hope that helps !

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome