Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Help with Exhaust/Performance problem
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2006
MylilPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEWright
I have read through all the post on the X vs. H vs. Y pipe and all that goes a long with it. I bought a Pypes high-flo catted X-pipe and Pro-V series muffler kit for my 2004 V-6 Mustang and had it installed. The installation was a pain in the neck (took three visits to two different shops to get it right but that's another story) but the sound is awesome. Exactly what I was looking for...

Now the problem. I notice what seems to be a slight decrease in torque/power? from the switch from 2 1/4" pipes to a 2 1/2" pipe. I also upgraded to 17x9 chrome bullit rims at the same time with 235/45/17 inch tires. I also have seen a decrease in MPG and this really has me scratching my head. I am no mechanical genius but feel I am a fair. I have done some work myself and all but this really has me baffled. I expected an increase in HP with I notice but the punch seems to be missing, especially when upshifting in the higher gears. What are some recommendations to gain this punch back that I seem to have lost? I am kind of tapped now funds wise with the exhaust system and rims purchase but would like you all to suggest some options for me to explore.

Would it help to dyno and tune the chip? Will a TB Spacer deliver some power as they ads claim?

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!!!

Tommy
I'm no pro but the consensus on this forum is that 2.5" is too big for a 6-banger..... I was looking into purchasing 2.5" flows and someone recommended that I have them (the exhaust shop) put in restrictors to increase back pressure. It seems like the more people i hear from regarding exhaust the more confused i get... everyone says something different....
also the TB spacers supposedly dont do anything for the 100 bucks it costs for the piece.... its all helix circular flow hocus pocus i believe... but what do i know
hope this helps some

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome