Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 3.73 or 4.10 gear opinions
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2006
kscoyote
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarstarX7
Im going do either 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and wanted to know what the best option is for performance. I have called a few mustang performance shops and everyone has a different opinion.

4.10s obviously provide better acceleration, but a shop told me that from their experience, 3.73s are better for the v6 (auto/or manual) mustang and have better performance. They also said that 3.73s are fine without traction lok, and that i wouldnt need it because there is only so much power that the v6 makes.

Otherwise, from others I have heard that 4.10s are the best on the v6(Auto) and traction lok is a must.
you need to figure out how much highway/city driving you do, or will do before going forward.

You also need to figure out if you're planning a power adder. If you're going with a blower or turbo, stick with stock gears or go 3.43 MAX.

I'd go with a detroit locker before I did gears. Or at the same time. You TOTALLY could use a limited-slip, but gears -I could do without 'em -but then 99% of my driving is on the highway. I need passing power more than low end acceleration.

re: the power comment:
www.v6power.net

Top 10 V6P Timeslips
1 matthewneuharth 9.851
2 Tom Y 10.659
3 a23turbo 10.915
4 Justin00V6 10.996
5 Pete 11.385
6 GT-EATER 11.584
7 supersix stang 11.853
8 Tom Y 11.890
9 Ryan McKay 11.950
10 PB Milan 12.348

I'd say high nines is plenty of power.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome