Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Can I disable the anti-theft system?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2006 Thread Starter
Preacher17
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Can I disable the anti-theft system?

Well I just bought my kid his first car a 97 v6 'stang. Really nice car...shoulda kept it for myself ! Anyway when we bought it it came with only one key so one of the first stops was Wal-mart to get a spare key. Got home and tried the key and discovered that the car wont start because its got an anti-theft system, so off to Ford I go. Talk to the parts guy and he tells me that I'm lucky I didn't burn up the theft system (at the cost of 900 bucks!) using an uncoded key! And that a coded key is going to run $65. He also tells me there is no way to shut the system off.

So my question is is this a load of BS to sell me a $65 key? (and whatever they charge to encode it) or is there a better way? This is a very low crime area and the car is 10 yo so I'm thinking that we might actually be better off just disabling the system instead of paying $65 bucks everytime my kid loses a key. Is it possible to do this and how do you go about it? OR is there somewhere out there that sell keys for less than 65 bucks? Thanks for the help.

Mike

1966 Fastback
1966 Coupe
1998 GT

"Government is not the answer to our problems, government is the problem."

Ronald Reagan

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome