Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Ecoboost swap possible?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
sj90
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_V6 View Post
Hey all, this is something I've been thinking about for a while now.

What is stopping anyone from taking the exhaust manifolds, turbos, PCM and other related hardware from an ecoboost 3.5L (from an f-150, not a taurus) and swapping them onto a 3.7L in a Mustang?

Has anyone tried this? Surely I'm not the first person to consider this.

Where does the mustang's extra .2L of displacement come from? Bore? Stroke?

What are the chances of swapping (obviously ported) ecoboost heads on to a 3.7 for a bump in compression (due to smaller combustion chambers)?

On the flip side, wouldn't 3.7 heads, coupled with larger turbos make an ecoboost really come alive?

I'm kind of an old school hot rodder, and all this new technology seems to muddy up these older tried and true tricks for making power. Kinda like swapping exlporer GT40P heads and intake onto mustang 302 to replace the stock E7TE heads was a cheap bolt on power gain- I'm trying to figure out some "budget upgrade easter eggs" Ford may have built into this new fleet.

Thoughts?

I would bet that it's going to end up costing a lot more then it would be worth. The biggest difference not included in this post is that the 3.5 ecoboost is direct injection. The effort required to transfer over the direct injection system would be more than I would want for this kind of conversion. Also, I'm not positive, but I would imagine it would be more involved than just putting the pcm from a f-150 into a mustang. There are so many sensors in vehicles these days, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to replace most of the them in order to get the car to run properly, meaning a lot more work.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but an aftermarket turbo kit has got to be way easier and cable of making more power.

2012 Premium V6 Mustang, Candy Red, Performance Package, Manual.

Mods: Steeda Sports, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mount, UMI LCA's, UMI Panhard Bar, Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome