Ford Mustang Forum banner

How Do You V6 Guys Take The Heat?!?!

51K views 525 replies 58 participants last post by  pumpdoc 
#1 ·
just left my weekly texas holdem game..today when i pulled up to the host's house (on my bike, it was 70 tonight) there was a white stang out front. it had the minivan wheels, side body and window louvers, dual exaust, no fender emblems and shelby stripes..i was impressed..then i walked to the front and saw the v6 front end..oh well, nice v6...as i sat down to begin the game (corona in hand, cinco de mio) i shouted out' "who owns the mustang out front?"...what began next i had no control over and never fronted i owned a gt...the cat calls started right away from the minivan guys ripping this kid "oh that 4 banger is his".."if you saved the $$ from all your mods, you could afford an 8"..this from a guy who owns a honda element(toaster on wheels)..the kid had no response...no disrespect, but i just want to know how you v6 guys handle the "oh its a only a 6 cylinder".."its not a gt?".."why didn't you get a gt?"

#452 ·
afixer said:
this is how much i think of this forum i guess i joined in march of 05 and have 7 posts here!
Eh, Don't let 'em get to ya. There's fun to be had!

#453 ·
is that pointed at me. if it was i guess its true . because evertime i stop by i see these stupid threads that the mods let go for 400 plus post and wonder why i came back . i post alot of the tsb's and service docs on other forums just to help out. i never mention the fact that out of the 30 plus tsb's are mostly for the v8 that would just be uncool to my v8 big brothers. but hey i know alot of you v8 guys love to kick the little guy and thats cool too! to each his or her own. i just like to come around and share knowledge and better the car but maybe its not in the cards. bummer

#454 ·
nghtrnnr said:
exactly my point kscoyote...but why point out that it started as a v6 then?
I originally bought mine with the intention of putting in an aluminum Ford Racing blocked 302.

After all the hazing I got from you guys here, I decided to stick with the six.

Like I always have said -the man makes the car, the car doesn't make the man.

If I had the time, I could get 500+hp -if I still had access to the machine shop in Topeka.

Don't have the time, don't live in Topeka, and the shop closed -but I can get 400hp easy out of the six. It's got Cleveland-like heads, a pretty trick intake, and it's detuned. It's making almost as much power as my old 302 made out of the factory.

I'm comfortable with it, so I decided to keep it just to poke my thumb in the eyes of the GTers -Just Like I built the Mustang to poke my thumb into the eyes of the Chevy Monkeys.

A good builder can make anything fast.

#455 ·
afixer said:
is that pointed at me. if it was i guess its true . because evertime i stop by i see these stupid threads that the mods let go for 400 plus post and wonder why i came back . i post alot of the tsb's and service docs on other forums just to help out. i never mention the fact that out of the 30 plus tsb's are mostly for the v8 that would just be uncool to my v8 big brothers. but hey i know alot of you v8 guys love to kick the little guy and thats cool too! to each his or her own. i just like to come around and share knowledge and better the car but maybe its not in the cards. bummer
hang out in the 6 forums -this is the 2005+ general forums, so they can get away with murder.

The 6 forums are generally kinder, gentler places.

#456 ·
afixer said:
Wait, was which pointed at you?

#457 ·
hell i dont know but it showed up after i guess i bashed the forum. my point was that the mods let this kinda stuff go. you would think with all the other crap going on in the world. at least the mustang guys and gals could get along. but you will always have those guys. heck i was at ricky and ronnies the other night and everyone was checking out the car . than this guy comes up and said looks nice but im gona get on and put a 600 hp chevy in it. WTF so it takes all kinds. we then talked about street racing . as a father of 4 in LA cal watching the news and everyday kids getting killed or killing familys im not a big fan. sam guy said ive been street racing for year its safe. and this guy is in his 50s . i have seen it all! could have had a v8 didnt want to wait and didnt need the extra hp this one is fine for me.

#458 ·
afixer said:
hell i dont know but it showed up after i guess i bashed the forum. my point was that the mods let this kinda stuff go. you would think with all the other crap going on in the world. at least the mustang guys and gals could get along. but you will always have those guys. heck i was at ricky and ronnies the other night and everyone was checking out the car . than this guy comes up and said looks nice but im gona get on and put a 600 hp chevy in it. WTF so it takes all kinds. we then talked about street racing . as a father of 4 in LA cal watching the news and everyday kids getting killed or killing familys im not a big fan. sam guy said ive been street racing for year its safe. and this guy is in his 50s . i have seen it all! could have had a v8 didnt want to wait and didnt need the extra hp this one is fine for me.
The difference was 1 sec to 60, and 1 sec to 1/4 mile. I couldn't see paying $10000 extra in upfront costs, insurance and gas.

I was fine with the six, but I missed my 390 and 302. in Kansas, there isn't much between Salina and Denver or Albuquerque -Even the truckers regularly go 90+mph. There isn't the population density there is in California. But the whole reason I got rid of the cougar was it was costing me a ton of money on gas, and it wasn't worth it.

My old 302 got 25 mpg, and I was looking to do the swap into the cougar, but the gas costs were eating it all up, so I got the six.

It's a great little car, and with all the money I'm saving, I'm doing a lot of suspension setup.

I outgrew Street Racing my Junior year of college. Saw the type, and didn't want to be a part of that scene anymore. Got out of Motorcycle Racing my Freshman year.

Too much too lose.

#459 ·
LOL, he did not... I don't think...??

Thanks for the links. That proves they build engines... All I've read so far on the S197 Rouch Stage III says or hints it's built on Fords stock' 4.6 motor...?? There is allot of conserns regarding reliability... understandably... luckily they have a better tune than Saleen at least...

#460 ·
kj_cinci said:

Thanks for the links. That proves they build engines... All I've read so far on the S197 Rouch Stage III says or hints it's built on Fords stock' 4.6 motor...?? There is allot of conserns regarding reliability... understandably... luckily they have a better tune than Saleen at least...
ROUSH Performance is extending our product offer to include ROUSH-engineered Ford based street performance engines.

There's nothing ford in those engines except the blocks -and I think he's even making his own blocks now.

#461 ·
Well these forums are for discussions... this is a heated one and I'd love to close it down so I wouldn't have to "police" it... but it keeps a civiliced tone and then I'll just tag along and see where it goes.... no need to get wrapped around the axle be it a V6 or V8 axle...

#463 ·
kj_cinci said:

Only a 4th grade mentality thinks the truth is an attack. Ask our president. Or a 34 year old streetracer.

I'm just asking, If you know you're going to mod the car, why buy a GT? For the label?

I grew out of the same 80s stew as Saleen, When we modded cars, we took off all the labels. If there were any on the car it was LX which could be anything. I had a 68 302, with all the chrome removed, even the drip rails. The tail -lights were redone with NO chrome. The whole car was painted maple nut red, and had 7 different color stripes -there were only two like it in the whole country. The car could have been a 200 I-six.

The whole 5.0 thing was a GEN-X thing. It was also a Cold War thing. We got it from European rodders -our fathers, uncles and parents stationed in Germany brought back pics of what they were driving, and we liked the look. look it up or ask someone in the know back then. I still remember the pics my Chinese language teacher brought back from Germany -he used to be Naval intelligence.

The Chevy monkeys were still jacking up the rear ends runing drag radials, running primer, etc, that was 70s stuff. We went for dropped even suspension, cornering + speed, and understatement.

Only the Chevy Monkeys were concerned about IROC this, and Z28 that. They were running glass packs, and side pipes with huge engine cube designations on the sides of their cars. You couldn't tell what we were running except for the tailpipe, and we usually ran pretty quiet (turbo) mufflers at that. the 302s didn't sound like the 302s that were from the factory. (Ford later hired a bunch of engineers to get "the sound" and got em to replicate it with the 4.6L. )

Now my neighbor (who is a Chevy Monkey) says: "Dang I wish chevy could bottle that sound up. Why don't YOU get some of those mufflers -Oh that's right -you have a Six" And I told him, I'll bet you a hundred dollars I could take any of your vehicles with my six. (He's got a Grand Am a Truck, and an Achieva, and his Brother inlaw has an S10 Extreme.

He didn't want to run to the raceway to find out.

So I feel like I'm back in the 80s. Except the Gters are becoming more an dmore like Chevy monkeys. My sister who just graduated from high school is tellin gme parachute pants are in (she never heard of MC Hammer) and Jasmine's nephew is wearing them (he doesn't know what Hammertime is either).

One thing we GenXers do is change the rules. So I'm not following the V8 Rule anymore. It's boring. Labels are still boring, and so is branding.

I'll stick with the six.

G
#464 ·
kscoyote said:
Only a 4th grade mentality thinks the truth is an attack. Ask our president. Or a 34 year old streetracer.

I'm just asking, If you know you're going to mod the car, why buy a GT? For the label?

I grew out of the same 80s stew as Saleen, When we modded cars, we took off all the labels. If there were any on the car it was LX which could be anything. I had a 68 302, with all the chrome removed, even the drip rails. The tail -lights were redone with NO chrome. The whole car was painted maple nut red, and had 7 different color stripes -there were only two like it in the whole country. The car could have been a 200 I-six.

The whole 5.0 thing was a GEN-X thing. It was also a Cold War thing. We got it from European rodders -our fathers, uncles and parents stationed in Germany brought back pics of what they were driving, and we liked the look. look it up or ask someone in the know back then. I still remember the pics my Chinese language teacher brought back from Germany -he used to be Naval intelligence.

The Chevy monkeys were still jacking up the rear ends runing drag radials, running primer, etc, that was 70s stuff. We went for dropped even suspension, cornering + speed, and understatement.

Only the Chevy Monkeys were concerned about IROC this, and Z28 that. They were running glass packs, and side pipes with huge engine cube designations on the sides of their cars. You couldn't tell what we were running except for the tailpipe, and we usually ran pretty quiet (turbo) mufflers at that. the 302s didn't sound like the 302s that were from the factory. (Ford later hired a bunch of engineers to get "the sound" and got em to replicate it with the 4.6L. )

Now my neighbor (who is a Chevy Monkey) says: "Dang I wish chevy could bottle that sound up. Why don't YOU get some of those mufflers -Oh that's right -you have a Six" And I told him, I'll bet you a hundred dollars I could take any of your vehicles with my six. (He's got a Grand Am a Truck, and an Achieva, and his Brother inlaw has an S10 Extreme.

He didn't want to run to the raceway to find out.

So I feel like I'm back in the 80s. Except the Gters are becoming more an dmore like Chevy monkeys. My sister who just graduated from high school is tellin gme parachute pants are in (she never heard of MC Hammer) and Jasmine's nephew is wearing them (he doesn't know what Hammertime is either).

One thing we GenXers do is change the rules. So I'm not following the V8 Rule anymore. It's boring. Labels are still boring, and so is branding.

I'll stick with the six.
me bein a streetracer really bothers you kscoyote? you seem to bring it up on every page...wellll tough buddy...heres hopin i splash water on ya in a rain storm!...ha ha....anyways...why buy a gt if you are gonna mod it?are you serious? moddin doesnt mean you yank an engine everytime...in fact...yankin an engine isnt moddin at all...moddin means makin your car better..you know...modification and all that....i think i said for the upteenth time that i didnt have anythin personal against the v6 engine but i like the gt better cause the mod ceiling is soo much higher...you can build a kick ass v6...maybe get 400 or so hp...but the gt can get 600 or so hp...get it...higher hp ceiling...thats all i said...ah hell...seee ya done made me forget theres no debating your dubious logic...my bad...go on and make yaself happy callin me a streetracer some more...i'm proud of the life

side note....can anyone tell me why this coyote is still debatin in the 2005+ forum...does he own a 2005 stang? blk06gt was right about him...

#465 ·
nghtrnnr said:
me bein a streetracer really bothers you kscoyote? you seem to bring it up on every page...wellll tough buddy...heres hopin i splash water on ya in a rain storm!...ha ha....anyways...why buy a gt if you are gonna mod it?are you serious? moddin doesnt mean you yank an engine everytime...in fact...yankin an engine isnt moddin at all...moddin means makin your car better..you know...modification and all that....i think i said for the upteenth time that i didnt have anythin personal against the v6 engine but i like the gt better cause the mod ceiling is soo much higher...you can build a kick ass v6...maybe get 400 or so hp...but the gt can get 600 or so hp...get it...higher hp ceiling...thats all i said...ah hell...seee ya done made me forget theres no debating your dubious logic...my bad...go on and make yaself happy callin me a streetracer some more...i'm proud of the life

side note....can anyone tell me why this coyote is still debatin in the 2005+ forum...does he own a 2005 stang? blk06gt was right about him...
I can't imagine a 34 year old man with so little to lose that he'd hang with the kids who don't know any better. It's sad.

********************************************************************************

And you're gonna' get that reliably with stock internals? How far have you gotten so far? You reeeaaally think you're gonna get 600hp without pulling the engine? you might ask someone who's actually built a car about that.

The Chevy monkeys claimed the same thing. They'd make all kinds of claims about hp, displacement, engine size, whatever. Most of the time the parts they chose didn't work together very well. They'd put together a torque moster and run short gears, but they'd put huge rubber on the back that destroyed their advantage. They'd put together a high rpm engine that couldn't hook without killing the engine. Even IF they put togehter a good engine 9/10 times we'd beat 'em because they never thought of the whole package. So yeah, you can put together a 600hp car, but it'd still be beatable by a 400hp six. I have no doubt about it.

I beat several 500hp rat motors with my 350hp 302.

1) you've got to get it to the ground -and in a straight line.

2) it's gotta be reliable, run after run.

3) My car only weighed 2300 lbs -less than civics nowadays -stock it weighed 2700 lbs -still less than a Civic Si.

The HondaHeads didn't prove there was a replacement for displacement, the 5.0Lers did.

The 05 Six forums were only recently split from general six forums, I think it was last week. You didn't ask how 05 6ers handle the heat, you asked all us sixers.

G
#466 ·
kscoyote said:
And you're gonna' get that reliably with stock internals? How far have you gotten so far?

The Chevy monkeys claimed the same thing. They'd make all kinds of claims about hp, displacement, engine size, whatever. Most of the time the parts they chose didn't work together very well. They'd put together a torque moster and run short gears, but they'd put huge rubber on the back that destroyed their advantage. They'd put together a high rpm engine that couldn't hook without killing the engine. Even IF they put togehter a good engine 9/10 times we'd beat 'em because they never thought of the whole package. So yeah, you can put together a 600hp car, but it'd still be beatable by a 400hp six. I have no doubt about it.

3) My car only weighed 2300 lbs -less than civics nowadays -stock it weighed 2700 lbs -still less than a Civic Si.

The HondaHeads didn't prove there was a replacement for displacement, the 5.0Lers did.

The 05 Six forums were only recently split from general six forums, I think it was last week. You didn't ask how 05 6ers handle the heat, you asked all us sixers.
no....kscoyote....i....wouldnt....do....it....with....stock....internals....i....would....MOD....them....cause....the....v8....engine....can....take....more....M O D D I N G....than....the....v6....engine.

#467 ·
nghtrnnr said:
no....kscoyote....i....wouldnt....do....it....with....stock....internals....i....would....MOD....them....cause....the....v8....engine....can....take....more....M O D D I N G....than....the....v6....engine.
And how are you going to replace the internals? In the engine bay?

#468 ·
nghtrnnr said:
moddin doesnt mean you yank an engine everytime...in fact...yankin an engine isnt moddin at all...moddin means makin your car better..you know...modification and all that.....
I'm still trying to undertand this fragment . .. .

G
#469 ·
kscoyote said:
I can't imagine a 34 year old man with so little to lose that he'd hang with the kids who don't know any better. It's sad.

********************************************************************************

And you're gonna' get that reliably with stock internals? How far have you gotten so far? You reeeaaally think you're gonna get 600hp without pulling the engine? you might ask someone who's actually built a car about that.

changed that quote a bit didya?...kscoyote...well...i guess i should address the recently added first sentence yet again mentioning the streetracin thing...first off i should say i thought we were debatin how v6 guys take the heat but okay since you are obsessed with my streetracin life...pay attention now...THERE IS A WHOLE SUBCULTURE AROUND YOU FILLED WITH BIKERS AND DRIVERS WHO RACE IN THE STREET...WE MOD OUR CARS TO BE FASTER THAN THE NEXT GUY AND THEN SHOW THEM OFF IN COMPETITONS IN SECRET PARTS OF NEIGHBORHOODS LATE AT NIGHT AND SOMETIMES DURING THE DAY...PEOPLE OF ALL AGES ARE THERE....16YR OLDS...20YR OLDS..30 YR OLDS...40 YR OLDS...50 YR OLDS....AND YES...CHANCES ARE THE GIRL YOU PEEK OUT YOUR WINDOW AT WILL BE THERE TOO YOU SICK FREAK YOU...:winks you have to get a hobby buddy...i build computers....i travel(mostly in my stang)i drink more than i should...i boink the girls stuffy guys like you dream about...get out and live a little coyote...you know what? if you wanna come with me and check out the midnight club let me know...i'll introduce ya to a few gals with no waist...big hooters and a round ol' booty...we can race down the middle a few times...all fun...bring one of them classic cars ya got.theres a spot tonight i'm gonna race in the bronx...short notice i know...but next week on the island...you should go bro

pm me

G
#471 ·
9pm...i'm going to a strip joint/bar called "als wedge"i'm going to slap ass squeeze hooters and drink till they throw me out...then if i'm feeling particularly irresponsible i'm going to proceed with my chevymonkey friends to the empty warehouse district and mingle with the ricers...watch them embarass themselves and try to boink a race groupie on the hood of a guy named brandons camaro cause noone touches my mustang. yes kscoyote there is no end to my immaturity...wanna go next week?

#472 ·
nghtrnnr said:
changed that quote a bit didya?...kscoyote...well...i guess i should address the recently added first sentence yet again mentioning the streetracin thing...first off i should say i thought we were debatin how v6 guys take the heat but okay since you are obsessed with my streetracin life...pay attention now...THERE IS A WHOLE SUBCULTURE AROUND YOU FILLED WITH BIKERS AND DRIVERS WHO RACE IN THE STREET...WE MOD OUR CARS TO BE FASTER THAN THE NEXT GUY AND THEN SHOW THEM OFF IN COMPETITONS IN SECRET PARTS OF NEIGHBORHOODS LATE AT NIGHT AND SOMETIMES DURING THE DAY...PEOPLE OF ALL AGES ARE THERE....16YR OLDS...20YR OLDS..30 YR OLDS...40 YR OLDS...50 YR OLDS....AND YES...CHANCES ARE THE GIRL YOU PEEK OUT YOUR WINDOW AT WILL BE THERE TOO YOU SICK FREAK YOU...:winks you have to get a hobby buddy...i build computers....i travel(mostly in my stang)i drink more than i should...i boink the girls stuffy guys like you dream about...get out and live a little coyote...you know what? if you wanna come with me and check out the midnight club let me know...i'll introduce ya to a few gals with no waist...big hooters and a round ol' booty...we can race down the middle a few times...all fun...bring one of them classic cars ya got.theres a spot tonight i'm gonna race in the bronx...short notice i know...but next week on the island...you should go bro

pm me
Sorry, Got a son to take care of, his college fund, a mortgage and a wife who used to be a Bunny.

Don't need no street ho's.

:winks

#473 ·
nghtrnnr said:
it means you dont have to yank an engine or throw it away to mod a car einstein
If it's got an iron block, its a boat anchor -toss it.

Once you toss the block what's left? rotating asembly -nope, don't need that. Heads, nope don't need that either . . . Intake, nope.

Accessories?

yeah. But I generally take off the Power Steering at a minimum. SO what's left that I need? Alternator & bracket, Water Pump, Air Conditioning.

Yep that's what I paid $10000 for -some accessories.

#474 ·
You guys are geting silly now...

I'd luv for my car to look like a V6, but I'm not going to pay for it it spend time on it.

My car was about 5K more than a 4.0, those 5K was well worth for the power to play around with some basic mods first year... not to mention how much easier it is when you allready have some strenght in your drivetrain...

Streetracing is probably very dangerous... and illigal... ;)

Hope you don't drink and drive nghtrnnr...

Oh well... Good night!

#475 ·
kj_cinci said:
You guys are geting silly now...

I'd luv for my car to look like a V6, but I'm not going to pay for it it spend time on it.

My car was about 5K more than a 4.0, those 5K was well worth for the power to play around with some basic mods first year... not to mention how much easier it is when you allready have some strenght in your drivetrain...

Streetracing is probably very dangerous... and illigal... ;)

Hope you don't drink and drive nghtrnnr...

Oh well... Good night!
Like I said, my plans were for an aluminum blocked 302, a six speed, and an SVT IRS. There wasn't anything in a GT I needed.

Didn't want the 4.6, didn't want the 5 speed, and didn't want the stick-axle. Didn't want the seats -planned on deleting the rear seats (It's coming up after I finish with the chassis -still looking for 2 parts, a Kenny Brown [now engineered performance] rear strut tower brace and the last under chassis brace) -but brakes may move up on the list . . ..

Of course, now that I've decided to stick with the 3.8L, I may have to source an Aisin 6-speed and fabricate a bellhousing . . .

#476 ·
kscoyote said:
Like I said, my plans were for an aluminum blocked 302, a six speed, and an SVT IRS. There wasn't anything in a GT I needed.

Didn't want the 4.6, didn't want the 5 speed, and didn't want the stick-axle. Didn't want the seats -planned on deleting the rear seats (It's coming up after I finish with the chassis -still looking for 2 parts, a Kenny Brown [now engineered performance] rear strut tower brace and the last under chassis brace) -but brakes may move up on the list . . ..

Of course, now that I've decided to stick with the 3.8L, I may have to source an Aisin 6-speed and fabricate a bellhousing . . .
I believe this is what your aiming for

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.