Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - questions about a swap to V8
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2006
kscoyote
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
a friend of mine told me to consider swapping to a 4.6 (my car has lots of miles and he meant this as instead of getting a new car when i need one) and i was just wondering what all i would need to complete this swap. i know its expensive and im not even actually considering doing this...im just wondering what it would need? i know itd need a new computer, but like for example would my rear end hold up or would i need to get a whole new one? basically...if i went to a salvage yard or something and bought a V8 and the computer from that car is that all i would need to do? how much does it usually cost to get engines swapped out? thanks a lot
It's cheaper to mod the six.

You could throw in a rebuilt T-bird SC supercharged 3.8L with little drama and cost (it was $1800 at O'Reilleys a couple of years ago), or get a race v6 with 400hp for $6000.

Swapping to an 8 requires a new tranny, (the six got the v8 tranny in 2001 - I think), new rear end, new front suspension, and you should replace the brakes. After that you've got the electronics, and the PATS which is a mess.

It's cheaper to buy a used v8, unless you're planning an all out show/strip vehicle, in which case the six chassis is a better one to start from, since the chassis hasn't had as much stress -you don't have to worry about cracks in the frame, the cracks in the rear suspension mounts, etc.

Also, the 302 is an easier swap than the 4.6L, cheaper, too-just an FYI.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome