Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - V6 mustang= hopeless
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2006 Thread Starter
Godlik3
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
You don't need headers unless you're pushing 250 hp at the wheels. The BEST CAI sells for 165.00 and you don't really need gears. If you've got 255-260 ft/lbs of torque (Which is what the baseline is on a 4.2L), 3.27s or better would be nice (and you can find THOSE cheap on e-bay -the 3.27s anyway) but if you're on a budget it's not necessary.

the 4.2L block is exactly the same. You don't need brakes etc, because it's the same weight as what you've got -there's no difference. The only difference is the stroke from the crank.

And that's why it's cheaper to simply exchange the block to increase your displacement. Everything else will bolt up. But I wouldn't recommend using your 98 heads because they're restrictive (just like the 94-8 GTs). If you're on a budget, run to the salvage yard find a cheap 4.2L in good condition they're like 300 dollars or so, pick up a 99-01 intake manifold, sell the 4.2L manifold and pick up a programmer. you'll pick up 60+ hp, 35-45 ft /bs of torque for 6-800 dollars + installation, depending on how much of the work you do yourself. You can disconnect all the fittings & electronics, have them drop the engine in, and you can take care of the rest of the installation.

Then you're a cam away from being competitive with the GTs, and you won't have to worry about the Sport Compacts.

A v8 swap requires a new computer rewiring, brakes, suspension, rear end etc. it all comes to $4000 or so + the cost of the engine.
Alright then, I'm seriously considering the 4.2 swap, thing is, I only have 25,000 miles on my 3.8. So I don't want to pick up a used 4.2 with 90,000 miles, know what I'm saying.

And yes, a website would be great :smilie, but I know a few local junkyards as well... thanks for your help

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome