Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Short throw shifter installation

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  shinerstang 
#1 ·
I just ordered a short-throw shifter from Mustangtuning.com which should be here sometime next week. Before i get it i wanna kno the ins and outs of installation. I jus finished watchin Two Guys Garage on the Speed Channel and they were coinsidentaly installin a short shifter on a Mustang, so i got the basics but i need the technical stuff. What exactly do i need to do to install it, from knobs to sealant? And what other supplies will i need, such as wrenchs and screws? Thanks!!

#2 ·
jrspony said:
I just ordered a short-throw shifter from Mustangtuning.com which should be here sometime next week. Before i get it i wanna kno the ins and outs of installation. I jus finished watchin Two Guys Garage on the Speed Channel and they were coinsidentaly installin a short shifter on a Mustang, so i got the basics but i need the technical stuff. What exactly do i need to do to install it, from knobs to sealant? And what other supplies will i need, such as wrenchs and screws? Thanks!!
Do you know who the manufacturer is?

#3 ·
#4 ·
Funny, I just purchased one this week too.....:D For 60 bucks, it has to be better than the stock shifter. The only thing I picked up for it was some rtv blue to seal around the shifter. Anyone purchase and install one of those yet?

#5 ·
Well, can't say for sure .. .

#6 ·
kit should have a set of instructions with it, which should walk you through the install. Fairly simple, yet easy to screw up as well.

#7 ·
I wasn't worried about the install, not rocket science. Moreso if anyone had some feedback on them. Just got it in the mail today-not too shabby ordering it on Monday and receiving it today with free shipping. Good outfit to deal with...... Damn! Wish I wasn't at work now.....

#8 ·
Okay, success!!!! I just installed the shifter. It feels pretty good. The whole job took about 45 minutes or so. The instructions did not come with the package, but there was an article in Modified Mustangs in the Feb/March edition that had all the info needed to install. It helped out alot. A couple pointers: I used a pry bar to take off the old shifter after taking out the bolts. You don't need that much pressure. Doing it by hand is difficult. The bolts for the actual shifter handle were a little funky, but I used alternating bolts to tighten it down. What I mean is, that each section of the handle I used the allen bolt and the threaded bolt with 2 nuts on each end. Not sure if that was the way it was meant to be, but it worked. Now the shifter nob feels different, so it's off to the parts store to get a new one. Hope this helps, Tom

#9 ·
I jus got my shifter in the mail and its nothing but the shifter, a bag of bolts, screws, washers, and springs. I'm gon install in later today, but i have no clue what some of the stuff in that bag is for. Anyone got detailed instructions for installation??

#10 ·
Do you have the Modified Mustangs Feb/March Edition? If not, I can give you a quick rundown.

1. Remove the trim piece from around your shifter. It's plastic and held in by clips, just pull. Disconnect your lighter accessory. The clips comes right out.
2. Remove the four bolts holding down your shifter boot. I believe they were 5/16" or so. Unscrew the shifter knob, remove shifter and boot.
3. Remove the four bolts holding down your shifter. I believe they were 1/2". You'll have to pry up the old shifter. I used a small pry bar because the old silicone is pretty strong. Take off your old shifter. Clean around shift housing with a flat screwdriver. Put on a small bead of fresh RTV blue sealant around housing.
4. Install new shifter unit with the old bolts. To adjust the stop pins provided, you need to use the fully threaded allen screws, one on the top of the shifter plate, and one on the bottom. Be sure to put nuts on both ends of the screws to make sure they don't move when driving. Put the car in first gear, adjust the screw until it hits the shifter, back out one full turn, then tighten the nuts. Next, put the car in second gear, tighten the bolt again until you hit the shifter, back out one turn and tighten. This will stop you from bending then forks when banging gears. Once that is done, you'll need to put together the shift handle. You use the S-piece first, then the threaded knob second. Attach with one allen screw and one fully threaded allen screw for each piece. Use the supplied nuts on the full threaded allen screw tighten all parts afterwards. Put the shifter cover back on, tighten the 5/16" bolts, then put the trim piece back on.

You're done.......Tom

#12 ·
Thanks!!! I'll let you know how it goes...

#13 ·
Gray Clip on back on console

After i removed the console and boot i discovered a crap clip that wasn't connected to anything, just a blank spot on the back of the console. ANy idea wut it is for?

#15 ·
PIECE OF CAKE!!! It was a much easier install than i thought... And the throws are so short that i gotta get use to not pushing the knob so far. Does anyone know the brand of that shifter on Mustangtuning.com?

#16 ·
Glad to see things went well..... I'm still having problems getting used to shift it too. I keep trying to bang them like you had to do with the old shifter. Today I caught 1st gear doing about 60. RMP's jumped up to 6500. :eyepoppin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.