Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - I'm lookig to do an engine swap but i need some input
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2006
kscoyote
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangnewbie
I'm very new to mustangs and putting performance mods on them, but i want to know if i can swap the 3.8L in my 2002 coupe for a 302, or a 4.6L? Anyone know?

Which way is the easiest.
They will both cost you around 4-5,000 dollars, and you can add a few hundred to that if you get a 302 because you have to swap the K-member. And that's assuming you have a donor car with the electronics, computers, wiring, etc.

If you can do the electrical work yourself, you could probably knock 75% off the costs.

And then, assuming you have a run of the mill 302 - you'll only gain 15 hp.

For the money you could have bought a car WITH a v8, including your trade -for less.

Or dropped in a built v6 with 100 more hp. Built sixes generally run 4-5000 dollars, and you don't have to worry about the electronics or the PATS.

Or for that matter you could throw on a supercharger and still have 1-2000 dollars in your pocket.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome