Ford Mustang Forum banner

Supercharger- decision time

9K views 79 replies 19 participants last post by  Robs1stStang 
#1 ·
Hey guys, It comes down to this. I have saved up and it's time to supercharge the car. I street drive the car on nice days, no track time as of yet. If I do go to the track it will be just for fun, I don't want to get too serious about it. Gets expensive fast.

There are 2 kits that I'm currently considering.
1. Brenspeed 560R roush r2300 system
2. Brenspeed Paxton Novi 220sl kt

There are things that I like about both kits.
If I do this, I plan to keep the car for a long long time.
I thought for a long time that I was going to go with the paxton kit but after talking with Brent @ brenspeed he somewhat swayed me to the roush kit. Better for my application so to speak.
I will not need to upgrade boost in the future, or at least there are no plans for it currently. 450rwhp is enough for a street car IMO. Car is an 05 auto GT with around 45K miles.

I recently put on the plenum cover/ fuel rail/ battery and brake booster covers and dressed up the engine bay so with the roush that would all be wasted money as it won't be reused, and with the paxton I could keep it or at least modify it to fit. I like that the paxton is a little easier on components as it builds boost more slowly, but from what I've heard the roush is a better system all around.
Any thoughts/ experience with this etc. I'm pullin my hair out over this one.

Rob

See less See more
#3 ·
I will inquire them thanks. Didn't know that they even existed.

#4 ·
I'd get the Edelbrock E Force if I had that car...and know that you are opening up the gates to "mod hell"...you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave...

#10 · (Edited)
The E-Force is a decent blower for someone with a 400-450rwhp goal. Much past that the E-Force shows its limitations quickly. More capable PD blowers are available - (Whipple, Roush, KB) for the same money.

#5 ·
I know what you mean. For me it's been mostly appearance mods until now. Expect for the axlebacks, Cai and 93R tune. The car is quick, don't get me wrong. It's plenty fast enough to get me thrown in jail. I guess I got used to the power very quickly. It doesn't pin me back in the seat like I think it should. That's what I want to go for.

#6 ·
Personally I would go with the Roush, because I like the idea of big-block-style low end torque ; and from what I understand, they offer a real nice plug-and-play kit.

If you prefer the higher RPM power of the centrifigual, then go with the Paxton.

I think that is basically what it comes down to.

#7 ·
Ya I know this has been debated forever on here. I don't need a tire roaster, but it's fun and expensive. That's what I'm afraid of with the Roush as opposed to the Paxton. However, I've been told fit and finish of the Roush is top notch and there is less likelihood of leakage due to less plumbing and the sort. Who thought going fast was such a drawn out process. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Rob

#8 ·
If you want to be pinned back a PD Blower is a nice way to go.
Especially if its a street car. So muxh low end boost. I can see where a Centrifugal would be a choice for the streets, plenty of people have them. But more of their power is at the high end. May need to change gears to get the seat of the pants feel.

Also it popped in my mind that some Centrifugal may have problems in very cold weather. I remember a guy in Iceland or Alaska who had to take his off when the really cold weather would hit, then put it back on when it warmed up.

I have a TVS Maggie and when I first got it, it was like what the Hell, the low end power was killer.:grinroll:

#9 ·
I`ve installed both, driven both, and seen both make big power. For a street car, auto, 450 rwhp I recommend a PD blower. For big power (700rwhp) a centri or turbo is the ticket. Go with Roush over the Paxton for this application.

#11 ·
That's just the thing, they both make comparable power just delivery is different. I don't think I will ever want to see upwards of 500HP. I've never driven in either so I appreciated the feedback. Thanks

#13 ·
Gee, where have I heard this before . ??? lol:heha:

#12 ·
I would only recommend a PD blower for the street either a TVS or the Eaton M122. The TVS is first class but will cost significantly more than the M122 and both make 450rwhp with no problem.

#14 ·
I have the Saleen Series IV blower on my car and I love it, but I've had plenty of experience with both the Paxton and Roush kits. If I were going to put a blower on my car right now it would be exactly the Roush 560 kit from Brenspeed.

You can read my sig, but our cars sound very similar. I even put the Saleen blower on my car with 47,000 miles on it. I now have upwards of 105K on it odometer and it's still running strong with the stock internals, stock torque converter and stock trans. I will say though that the factory differential did not hold up well with the added power. I have now upgraded to an Eaton Posi unit with 4.10 gears and it's holding like a champ.

Good Luck and have fun with your decision.:shiny:

#15 ·
I personally like being able to putter around without getting into boost if I don't want to. If I want it, I just downshift a gear or two. If I don't want it, I meander along at 1,200 rpms and my car just sounds normal...

Just my take. I have a Vortech and I like it for driving on the street even though I have to run the rpms up to make it work. But I have a little more control over when it does its thing, I think...

#16 ·
With my old Magnuson kit(MP112) car doesn't make any boost unless I bring it up over 2000rpm. Also I like the internal blow off valve and I'm happy my car doesn't whistle. Nobody even knows I have a supercharger until I let it rip. This is my numbers with stock cams and exhaust manifolds with factory cats.

Attachments

#19 ·
I'm over 2,000 rpms on the highway...

I like the whistle. What I like more is the whoosh once it is dark and quiet out...

End of the day its really a personal preference I think because regardless what you go with it will move the car along...

#17 ·
2 very different applications but both very good points. I think I'm more worried about having to replace things from breakage. I don't want it to be like a snowmobile where you ride it one day and fix it for three. Hence why I was at first leaning to the Paxton kit. But the instant raw power from the roush has me thinking ...again.

GT E UPP - you got me! I am opening up the gates to mod hell. Good thing I have a supportive wife.

Rob

#18 ·
That car must be an absolute rocket.

#21 ·
Here's a new development. My wife asked me a what if scenario. She said why don't you keep the car the way it is for the next few years, continue to save up, then buy into a GT500 or Boss 302. Interesting scenario. This has me thinking again. I have mainly focused on cosmetics for my present car and consider it 98% done, cosmetically. There is always room for something else I get that. But power wise I would like to have more. A supercharger would fix this issue. If I upgrade to a different car, then I would have to start over. If I supercharge it, the car is done.(don't flame me, I know its never really done, but for the sake of my wifes sanity it is)
Thoughts suggestions etc. I could really use some input.

Rob

#22 ·
Here's a new development. My wife asked me a what if scenario. She said why don't you keep the car the way it is for the next few years, continue to save up, then buy into a GT500 or Boss 302. Interesting scenario. This has me thinking again. I have mainly focused on cosmetics for my present car and consider it 98% done, cosmetically. There is always room for something else I get that. But power wise I would like to have more. A supercharger would fix this issue. If I upgrade to a different car, then I would have to start over. If I supercharge it, the car is done.(don't flame me, I know its never really done, but for the sake of my wifes sanity it is)
Thoughts suggestions etc. I could really use some input.

Rob
Well...........Five years from now maybe you could or maybe you couldn't buy into a GT500 (that doesn't have the cosmetic mods you like) or a Boss 302 (that you'll want to supercharge anyway).

I say "maybe you could or maybe you couldn't" because five years equals 1,825 chances for a rainy day to completely take that thought process and that money and redirect it somewhere else.

Ask yourself this, "In the next five years is it conceivable that we might have a child, or more children, or decide we want a different house, or instead of buying the GT500 this year maybe we should redo the deck and the landscaping?" Take your pick man.

If your passion is your own Mustang GT that you've built and grown with over time...then you're on your way. Supercharge that bad boy and be proud of it. If your passion is a GT500 or a Boss 302 then those are great passions to have, but you're wasting time and money messing with a GT that will never be either of those things. If that's the case then sell/trade your '05 GT and the use the cash you had set aside for the supercharger and go find your GT500 or Boss 302 passion.

No one can tell you what will make you happy and I sure wouldn't dream of trying. I wish you the best of luck, peace of mind and loving support from home regardless of what you decide to do.

#23 ·
Very well said.

#24 ·
date is tentatively booked July 17th my car will be supercharged.
Can't wait.

#26 ·
Yes I agree, we can chase the rainbow forever. That's why I've decided to keep the 05, and supercharge it. I figure I will keep it for a long time. I don't have an overwhelming urge to get a GT500 or Boss302. I'm happy with what I have. As far as I know there were only 512 made. More incentive to keep it.

Rob

#27 ·
Yes I agree, we can chase the rainbow forever. That's why I've decided to keep the 05, and supercharge it. I figure I will keep it for a long time. I don't have an overwhelming urge to get a GT500 or Boss302. I'm happy with what I have. As far as I know there were only 512 made. More incentive to keep it.

Rob
I just watched a Speed program on the new F-series Jaguar today. The Jag is a 495 HP vert with some nice tech features - it almost sounds and looks as good as my 2008 GT vert. LOL. But seriously, these Mustangs are fun to drive! And I am constantly getting kudos from friends, neighbors, and even strangers in fancier cars driving down the road!

I've upgraded my suspension, brakes, and CAI. This month I'm upgrading tires and chassis stiffness. I'm trying to keep everything in balance as I bump up the performance. This fall I'll be struggling with the same question though: centri or PD SC. I have a manual with 4.1 gears that I use as a DD. My current plan is non-intercooled centri for +150, but more suggestions or messages on this choice appreciated.

Anyway, glad to hear you're happy with your '05. Enjoy!

#28 ·
I'll let you know how the roush tvs works out.

#30 ·
There's no right or wrong answer between the two blowers. I'm sure you'll be happy with the TVS. My suggestion is to make sure your suspension & tires are up to snuff, because that TVS will make a ton of torque!

UPR's 3V GT runs 9.90s in the quarter mile on a Roush TVS with UPR suspension and drag radials.

#31 ·
I figure suspension work will come into play next summer. I have to take it easy on the wife, she let me pull the pin on the blower set up. I have full intention of getting the rest of the car up to snuff so to speak. If not for any other reason than safety. Driveshaft, tires, brakes. etc. I'll see how long the stock rear end will hold up. I'm told the tranny is ok but the rear ends don't like the extra torque. I don't plan to be crazy with the car right off the bat anyway. Over 500HP is alot of power.

#32 ·
The rear end should be fine for a while. Doing burnouts to heat my tires at the track is what finally finished by stock diff off.

Keep us posted about the build.

#33 ·
I remember that you said the stock rear didn't hold up well with the added power, that had me a tad concerned. I don't plan on heavy duty racing. Thanks for clearing that up. Car goes in July 18th for install. I'm going to have to relearn how to drive it.

Rob

#35 ·
Well what ever you decide, get some delete plates and make sure you get the right tune for that mod.

#40 ·
Pretty sure OP (Rob) is going with the Roush TVS which includes a new manifold, the CMDP's will be long gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.