Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Suspension Modifications? How does this sound?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006
stangcrosser
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmustang06
I'm starting to look at suspension modifications. Let me say, my Mustang is probably not going to be on a track anytime, soon, so I'm only interested in modifications for the street. From reading a few different forums I've decided to upgrade the following:

- Rear Sway Bar
- Aftermarket Panhard Bar
- Panhard Bar Brace
- Lower Control Arms

More than likely I'll go with Steeda parts, but I haven't made up my mind. Oh, and I already have a strut tower brace (looks nice, not sure if it actually did anything).

Is the aftermarket panhard bar a must on our cars? I realize it's a good idea if I were going to lowering it. However, I live on a steep hill, so lowering is out of the question. Am I wasting my money if I purchase an aftermarket panhard bar? Most seem to be adjustable, I can't see the advantage if I'm going to keep the stock springs.

I've also seen the Steeda G-trac brace. Is it worth it or a waste of money?

How about front sway bars? I've read that this upgrade isn't really necessary.

Also, I'm looking at aluminum LCA's vs. tubular steel. Since I'm not lowering the car, I have a little extra money in my budget. Remember, this car may never see a track, would the aluminum part be worth it? It looks like a waste of money for my application.

What about replacing both the 3rd link control arm and the upper control arm? Would that be worth it on a street car?
If you won't be lowering your car, you won't need a panhard bar. You can check to see how the rear tires line up vertically in relation to the apex of the fender lip (just drop a plumb line and measure to the closest tire edge). An adjustable panhard bar will adjust the axel side to side to center the wheels under the car (usually only needed when the car is lowered).

I can't be sure, but from your description I assume that your performance driving will be straight line acceleration. Suspension is tuned differently for lateral traction/cornering than it is for straight line acceleration. Stuff like the G-trac brace, lowering springs, sway bars, etc. tend to be for lateral traction. There are spring and damper sets which are designed to allow transfer of weight to the rear on acceleration. That would help rear end traction, as would LCAs.

I am not the one to comment on suspension for straight line acceleration as I am in the smaller group on this forum who wants to get as much handling in the corners as I can.

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome