Compression Ratio & Octane - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 1 Post By Beechkid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Compression Ratio & Octane

They say higher octane is required when the compression ratio is raised. Well my truck has a compression ratio of 11.2:1 and the manufactures recommendation is 87 octane gas. The previous model had a compression ratio of 9.8:1 and it too ran on regular 87 octane. The 9.8:1 truck made 317 hp and the 11.2:1 makes 390. I was reading an article that says, “the addition of direct injection provides much of the extra power and reduces knock.”
So what’s the takeaway from this?
Do y’all think they “left a lot on the table” by tuning it for 87 octane? Do y’all think the timing is real retarded?
Quite a big difference between 11:1 and 9.8. Both using the same fuel.
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/ni...gned-titan-v-8

imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019
BOSS Member

This is nothing new....Crower as an example back in the late 70's (IIRR) had a new cam grind that could run up to 11:1 CR and still run off 91 octane (which was the best you could get in SoCal). It's all has to do with cam/crank timing, the quench and materials used. There may be more left but each engine has to be carefully looked at as far as how they accomplished it.

imps likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
They say higher octane is required when the compression ratio is raised. Well my truck has a compression ratio of 11.2:1 and the manufactures recommendation is 87 octane gas. The previous model had a compression ratio of 9.8:1 and it too ran on regular 87 octane. The 9.8:1 truck made 317 hp and the 11.2:1 makes 390. I was reading an article that says, “the addition of direct injection provides much of the extra power and reduces knock.”
So what’s the takeaway from this?
Do y’all think they “left a lot on the table” by tuning it for 87 octane? Do y’all think the timing is real retarded?
Quite a big difference between 11:1 and 9.8. Both using the same fuel.
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/ni...gned-titan-v-8
My '65 390 came from Ford with 10.5 CR. "Premium" required". But ran OK on "Regular" if you went easy. There was then no su. and lessening vacuum and centrifugal advance.

Today, we have instantaneous detection of and control over knock using electronic knock detection, and electronic control of spark advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page