T5 Shifters. What are y’all using? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

T5 Shifters. What are y’all using?

I’ve been using an el cheapo SVE short throw for a good while now and it’s time for a change. I still have to go over to the right quite a bit to get to 3rd from 2nd which results in the occasional miss when in a hurry, and I have to lean a tad for 5th.
There are so many choices and so many opinions, what are yall’s?
It seems the general consensus for the “best,” is either the steeda tri-ax or the mgw. The mgw is around $200 and the tri-ax is around $175. I think I’m trying to decide between the two, but I dunno.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018
GT Member

Got the Tri-Ax in mine. LOVE it.

Don't know what a MGW feels like, but I've heard the same good things that you've heard. I think I recall hearing from someone who's tried both, who said that he liked the MGW better. All I can tell from the pics is that the MGW has better adjustability for the shift handle.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Got the Tri-Ax in mine. LOVE it.

Don't know what a MGW feels like, but I've heard the same good things that you've heard. I think I recall hearing from someone who's tried both, who said that he liked the MGW better. All I can tell from the pics is that the MGW has better adjustability for the shift handle.
How “tall” is the handle? One of my biggest gripes about the sve rig is it’s a little too short. I didn’t ever love the sve, I just got used to it I guess. Dad has a ‘97 5 speed w the stock shifter and it’s like shifting an 18 wheeler. I’d forgotten how long the stock throw was. Unless that is the t56 in the ‘97 is a lot further than the t5.
Can I see a picture?

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018
GT Member

Well, that's kind of tricky, given all of the variables. The upper boot is of course flexible, and the finish panel around it is curved. So with that panel out of the way, I can get a more solid measurement from the base where the lower boot bolts to the body. It also makes a difference what gear the shifter is in, so I'm going with Neutral here. And to rule out any discrepancies between shift knobs, I'm leaving that knob out and measuring to the top of the threaded handle. The Tri-Ax has 3 holes in the shifter, which allow the 2-holed handle to be mounted in one of two positions. Mine is mounted in the taller upper position. (Oh, and BTW my transmission and engine mounts are brand new, so there's no chance of sagging or collapsing away from the body here.)

That said, it's about 8.5 inches tall from the body to the top of the handle thread, and mounting it in the lower position shortens this by about one inch.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Well, that's kind of tricky, given all of the variables. The upper boot is of course flexible, and the finish panel around it is curved. So with that panel out of the way, I can get a more solid measurement from the base where the lower boot bolts to the body. It also makes a difference what gear the shifter is in, so I'm going with Neutral here. And to rule out any discrepancies between shift knobs, I'm leaving that knob out and measuring to the top of the threaded handle. The Tri-Ax has 3 holes in the shifter, which allow the 2-holed handle to be mounted in one of two positions. Mine is mounted in the taller upper position. (Oh, and BTW my transmission and engine mounts are brand new, so there's no chance of sagging or collapsing away from the body here.)

That said, it's about 8.5 inches tall from the body to the top of the handle thread, and mounting it in the lower position shortens this by about one inch.
Ha, thanks man. I didn’t mean to make you do an episode of Beakman’s World.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018
GT Member

Haha, yeah I was thinking to myself, "how in the world am I gonna measure this, in a way that'll put us all on the same page?". Fortunately, I have my center console already torn out at the moment, so once I made up my mind, all I had to do was take a tape measure to it.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Haha, yeah I was thinking to myself, "how in the world am I gonna measure this, in a way that'll put us all on the same page?". Fortunately, I have my center console already torn out at the moment, so once I made up my mind, all I had to do was take a tape measure to it.
Is it a pretty comfortable reach? My biggest gripe with the sve is the handle is too short.
I was googling and I saw that steeda had a handle called the Comfort Pro, that I think was longer and it turned in towards the driver more than their regular handle. But I believe it has been discontinued.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sda-555-7154
I think I’m starting not to lean towards steeda due to their claims of not missing 3rd because of their “Offset Preload Coil Springs.” I’m not certain that MGW has that feature.
So, with the tri-ax is 2nd to 3rd not so far to the right and over? Is the handle rediculous short to where say if the seat were all the way up it’d be a mile down to reach?
With then SVE shifter I feel that I pretty much got a stock shifter with a short handle. The actual shifts are about if not the same.
Here’s an MGW comparison of their 3 handle choices. The Comfort Handle is the one that I was leaning towards, but this guy says it pretty much feels like a stock shift but with a little more positive engagement. I’m not sure I want to spend that kind of money for about the same feel. I could change the handle on my SVE for a lot less.
The Race Handle is just what I suspected it would be, which is too short. I don’t want to sit like that guy. With the shorter stick I also feel like I lose a little bit of leverage. Which of the 3 handles would you say is most comparable to the tri-ax?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=viUMndSKJ3Y
The Race Handle esq handle is what I’m trying to get away from now.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I just pulled the trigger on the Tri-Ax. Here goes nothin’.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018
GT Member

The reach is fine... for me, anyway. I'm about 5'10" and I keep the seat far enough forward so that with my back against the seat, I can rest my wrist on the top of the steering wheel. So maybe this places me closer to the shifter than other folks.

The previous owner of my car had already installed the Tri-Ax, and I don't have a stock one for reference. But the shifter handle sticks almost straight up in 5th gear & reverse positions. All other gear positions lean the handle more towards the driver. I don't know if this is normal on stock shifters too, or if this is the "offset" that they're referring to. I'm not entirely sure that the Tri-Ax makes it "impossible" to miss 3rd, but it does a great job of helping locate the handle for those middle gears. Here's a pic I found of a disassembled Tri-Ax and its coil springs. (Photobucket ruined another perfectly good thread over at Corral, so I had to use a special browser extension to retrieve them.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triax001.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	598025  

GT Member

But I'm having a really hard time comparing the MGW against the Steeda via pictures. The MGW has that big adjustment block that offsets the handle at whatever angle you want from the shifter, which is really nice. The Steeda, however, has a much simpler arrangement that makes it simple to fabricate your own solution if you want a different position. Here's another pic over at Corral where somebody bolted on a thick plate to move the handle further back. I don't think you'd be able to do that with the MGW.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
But I'm having a really hard time comparing the MGW against the Steeda via pictures. The MGW has that big adjustment block that offsets the handle at whatever angle you want from the shifter, which is really nice. The Steeda, however, has a much simpler arrangement that makes it simple to fabricate your own solution if you want a different position. Here's another pic over at Corral where somebody bolted on a thick plate to move the handle further back. I don't think you'd be able to do that with the MGW.
Yeah man it was a toss up really. I think maybe the MGW Comfort handle would’ve been a more comfortable reach but I can’t imagine the steeda being worse than what’s on their. The stock shifter is easy to reach but it’s like shifting a school bus. The SVE I have had a short handle and It is shorter from gear to gear sum, but 3rd I’d pretty far right.
Time and price were a big selling factor. We’re supposed to get together with the folks nextweekend so I opted for 3 day shipping so I’d have it in time so Dad and I could play cars. It was still under $200 with the shipping, and I’m not thrilled with the handle I can always find another make and model to try on the base. With the MGW you’re restricted to their handles only.
I wonder how the Hurst T bar would be?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QOUaRfM_X8Y
GT Member

I've never tried one of those T-bars. Part of me wonders if it would briefly fool my muscle memory into thinking it was an automatic haha. Eh, probably not.

I'm curious to hear how much (or how little) a difference there is between the Steeda and the SVE. They look nearly identical, and I wonder if they have the same pivot point, spring tension, etc. The difference would be a lot more dramatic if you were going from a stock shifter.

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
I've never tried one of those T-bars. Part of me wonders if it would briefly fool my muscle memory into thinking it was an automatic haha. Eh, probably not.

I'm curious to hear how much (or how little) a difference there is between the Steeda and the SVE. They look nearly identical, and I wonder if they have the same pivot point, spring tension, etc. The difference would be a lot more dramatic if you were going from a stock shifter.
This is the SVE that I have, the “Econo Shifter.” They didn’t have a blue one when I got mine though. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7210RS/1983...-Throw-Shifter
The Steeda better blow it out of the water... Or I hope I at least notice the difference. It looks like the Steeda’s handle has a better angle on it anyway. I was disappointed eirb the SVE since day one. When I first put it in I didn’t notice any shift improvements really, all I noticed was a short handle. Maybe I was expecting too much I guess. It is a shorter throw than oem, but it’s never given me the feeling like,”eww I’m never gonna miss a gear again!” It wasn’t until I got used to it and then drove dads 97 with a stock shifter that it was actually “better” than a stock “long throw.”
It has all-thread bolts where the top part of handle bolts to the end section the knob goes on and the bolts won’t stay tight anymore. It came off in my hand once or twice. That’s what really started the hunt for a new shifter. But for $200 I sure hope the Steeda is a night and day difference. At least eaiser to reach.
I’ll report back. I’m going to have a lot of “before and afters” to do this go round.
GT Member

That reminds me- the bolts holding the handle to the shifter on the Tri-Ax can work themselves loose too after a while. I don't remember if the provided bolts were long enough, or if I had to get new ones, but here's how I solved it: Instead of just threading the bolts back into the shifter, I made sure that there were threads sticking through it, and I added some nylon locknuts to the end. I don't remember what the thread size was, but it was easy to match up at the local hardware store.

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
That reminds me- the bolts holding the handle to the shifter on the Tri-Ax can work themselves loose too after a while. I don't remember if the provided bolts were long enough, or if I had to get new ones, but here's how I solved it: Instead of just threading the bolts back into the shifter, I made sure that there were threads sticking through it, and I added some nylon locknuts to the end. I don't remember what the thread size was, but it was easy to match up at the local hardware store.
Ha dang. Thanks man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page