Getting started - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
DrockinWV's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Location: Morgantown
Posts: 1
 
Getting started

Hey all!

New to the forum, and looking to gain advise and help along this journey. My wife bought a 1994 black Mustang 5.0 back when she was 18 in 2008. Drove for around 5 years, and it has now sat for the past 5 or 6. The car originally needed a new clutch, which was never taken care of, and the main reason for sitting. I do not know the exact mileage on the car, but I believe it to be around 180k. I know with it sitting for so long the fuel is most likely bad, and we will have to replace most if not all of the fuel system. Other than that the car is in decent shape, and should not need too much work. But don't really know what all it will need until we get it into our garage and start checking it out.

Going to start searching the internet and this forum for others that have had a similar build for ideas and to make sure we do not miss the small things. The car is currently at her parents house in MD, that is about a 2.5 hour drive. We plan to rent a trailer in a few weeks and tow it back to our place here in WV. Until then we are going to start our planning and budget stage of the project. Anyone that has some advice or links for similar build (or parts) would be greatly appreciated for the share!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_1807111500.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	611057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	611059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2610.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	611061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2614.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	611063  
DrockinWV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
90lxwhite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,748
           
I have/had a real similar build. I have a ‘95 that my dad got in late ‘95. It set awhile and I had the motor rebuilt. It didn’t sit long enough to cause damage to the fuel system though. It still has the original pump but the injectors were replacead during the rebuild.
I’d give it a tune up, plugs, wires, etc, drain the gas add fresh and see what happens. Don’t forget a new battery. Maybe it’ll fire right up. A new fuel filter would be a good idea prior to starting it the first time. Change the oil and coolant prior to starting. When you get it running do a coolant flush.
As for the clutch I’d go ahead and get the best one I could afford. I had a stock replacement put in when I had the motor rebuilt and it was ok. But years later I added 130 extra horsepower and the stock clutch gave way so I had to buy a “beefier one.” The second time around I bought a Centerforcr dual friction clutch and it’s been pretty good. It’ll hold a decent amount of power but it’s not too tough on your leg. You’ll also want to replace the throwout bearing. I recommend the Ford motorsports. Nice wheels.
Oh and watch out for rats and chewed wiring..
https://www.centerforce.com/articles...SAAEgLr7_D_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Centerforce-D.../dp/B000CIQQZS

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...ring-7904.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACCE3258-8B14-446D-AA80-4C377B12FB23_1565665814416.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	611093  
imps likes this.
90lxwhite is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019
Apprentice
 
imps's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Mohave County
Posts: 151
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I have/had a real similar build. I have a ‘95 that my dad got in late ‘95. It set awhile and I had the motor rebuilt. It didn’t sit long enough to cause damage to the fuel system though. It still has the original pump but the injectors were replacead during the rebuild.
I’d give it a tune up, plugs, wires, etc, drain the gas add fresh and see what happens. Don’t forget a new battery. Maybe it’ll fire right up. A new fuel filter would be a good idea prior to starting it the first time. Change the oil and coolant prior to starting. When you get it running do a coolant flush.
As for the clutch I’d go ahead and get the best one I could afford. I had a stock replacement put in when I had the motor rebuilt and it was ok. But years later I added 130 extra horsepower and the stock clutch gave way so I had to buy a “beefier one.” The second time around I bought a Centerforcr dual friction clutch and it’s been pretty good. It’ll hold a decent amount of power but it’s not too tough on your leg. You’ll also want to replace the throwout bearing. I recommend the Ford motorsports. Nice wheels.
Oh and watch out for rats and chewed wiring..
https://www.centerforce.com/articles...SAAEgLr7_D_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Centerforce-D.../dp/B000CIQQZS

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...ring-7904.html
Very little need be replaced in the fuel system. I would begin by removing the fuel tank and it's guts, discarding the pump, and blow out the fuel lines using compressed air and toluene. Pressurize via the delivery line at the tank, being careful of fire. Injectors are likely usable. However, such long-time dis-use can result in deterioration of fuel line and injector seals, so replacing all O-rings would be a good idea; pitch the old fuel filter. If she starts up, have a fuel pressure gauge available to check that the pressure regulator is operating properly; it contains a diaphragm susceptible to deterioration.

The suggestion to look for vermin-induced damage is certainly a good one.
imps is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
90lxwhite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,748
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I have/had a real similar build. I have a ‘95 that my dad got in late ‘95. It set awhile and I had the motor rebuilt. It didn’t sit long enough to cause damage to the fuel system though. It still has the original pump but the injectors were replacead during the rebuild.
I’d give it a tune up, plugs, wires, etc, drain the gas add fresh and see what happens. Don’t forget a new battery. Maybe it’ll fire right up. A new fuel filter would be a good idea prior to starting it the first time. Change the oil and coolant prior to starting. When you get it running do a coolant flush.
As for the clutch I’d go ahead and get the best one I could afford. I had a stock replacement put in when I had the motor rebuilt and it was ok. But years later I added 130 extra horsepower and the stock clutch gave way so I had to buy a “beefier one.” The second time around I bought a Centerforcr dual friction clutch and it’s been pretty good. It’ll hold a decent amount of power but it’s not too tough on your leg. You’ll also want to replace the throwout bearing. I recommend the Ford motorsports. Nice wheels.
Oh and watch out for rats and chewed wiring..
https://www.centerforce.com/articles...SAAEgLr7_D_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Centerforce-D.../dp/B000CIQQZS

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...ring-7904.html
Very little need be replaced in the fuel system. I would begin by removing the fuel tank and it's guts, discarding the pump, and blow out the fuel lines using compressed air and toluene. Pressurize via the delivery line at the tank, being careful of fire. Injectors are likely usable. However, such long-time dis-use can result in deterioration of fuel line and injector seals, so replacing all O-rings would be a good idea; pitch the old fuel filter. If she starts up, have a fuel pressure gauge available to check that the pressure regulator is operating properly; it contains a diaphragm susceptible to deterioration.

The suggestion to look for vermin-induced damage is certainly a good one.
Why not blow from the motor towards the tank? Seems like one would rather blow debris away from the engine.
If you get a new fuel pump a high volume pump wouldn’t be a bad idea if money allowed. Same scenario as the clutch. A “big” pump is around $100. Walboro gss340 is a good one.
imps likes this.
90lxwhite is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019
Apprentice
 
imps's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Mohave County
Posts: 151
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Why not blow from the motor towards the tank? Seems like one would rather blow debris away from the engine.
If you get a new fuel pump a high volume pump wouldn’t be a bad idea if money allowed. Same scenario as the clutch. A “big” pump is around $100. Walboro gss340 is a good one.
I assume both tubes at both ends are disconnected, so blowing either way would work, EXCEPT, the flow through the pressure regulator is in the direction such that best movement through the system would be from tank to fuel rail and then back to tank.
imps is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
90lxwhite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,748
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Why not blow from the motor towards the tank? Seems like one would rather blow debris away from the engine.
If you get a new fuel pump a high volume pump wouldn’t be a bad idea if money allowed. Same scenario as the clutch. A “big” pump is around $100. Walboro gss340 is a good one.
I assume both tubes at both ends are disconnected, so blowing either way would work, EXCEPT, the flow through the pressure regulator is in the direction such that best movement through the system would be from tank to fuel rail and then back to tank.
Ah yeah, the regulator. Got ya. It’d take some serious pressure I think to make all the bends, then through the rail with the regulator on it (feed line) then though the rail that supplies the return. Probably better off disconnecting the return at the wheel well and at the tank and blowing that way and the feed in the same manner.
imps likes this.
90lxwhite is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019
Apprentice
 
imps's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Mohave County
Posts: 151
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Ah yeah, the regulator. Got ya. It’d take some serious pressure I think to make all the bends, then through the rail with the regulator on it (feed line) then though the rail that supplies the return. Probably better off disconnecting the return at the wheel well and at the tank and blowing that way and the feed in the same manner.
Sure, that works! Remember, the pump develops somewhere around 30 to 50 psi, and can push 100 liters of fuel through there in an hour, rough figures. An air hose might push 100 psi, still not enough to hurt anything. Just like your garden hose, let's say you have 50 psi water pressure at the spigot, hook a mile-long hose to it, almost nothing will come out the far end. 100 feet, pretty good. 10 feet, almost the same as spigot with no hose. Works the same for the fuel system. Some pressure is lost traveling through the lines, some across the filter, some across the regulator, so the pump is always delivering a bit more than the gauge measures at the Schrader valve.
imps is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1